In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1US(stream)arroyo masculineriachuelo masculine
- They are as at home in a mossy rock pool or muddy creek as on a spectacular wreck.
- He earned his nickname playing near a muddy creek as a child.
- The creek is flowing strong from all the runoff and spring thaw.
- In a few areas, rock and snow slides dammed creeks, creating small lakes.
- Recently I was wading down a shallow creek in what I assumed was fresh water.
- After hours of hard training, everyone took turns taking baths in a nearby creek.
- They turned away from the waterfall and watched the creek flowing, listened to it.
- The equestrian trails are densely wooded, rocky and hilly with several small creek crossings.
- Firefighters used a fork lift truck to rescue a stricken horse from a muddy creek.
- In the western suburbs, creeks rose rapidly and flooded houses.
- Damp mornings are excellent for this detail, especially in low areas such as draws and creek bottoms.
- There is a tiny creek meandering among the rocks, which is also believed to have healing powers.
- She was able to drink from a nearby creek, but she had no food.
- We angled up a slope, rising away from the creek bottom.
- Fireflies danced about and the creek water seemed to glow from the moon's reflection.
- Nearby, a smaller lake was created by damming a tributary creek.
- They rested by a small creek running through the woods that had started to become more profuse.
- The seven men had spread out and were riding along the dry creek bed.
- Her lion tail flicked idly behind her as she walked towards the nearby creek.
- Anya let the cool water run over her as she lay down in the shallow creek.
- Extensive oyster reefs blanketed the mudflats along the state's tidal creeks and fueled the thriving industry.
- Mudflats lie lower in the upper intertidal zone than marshes and are smooth, almost level surfaces across which tidal creeks meander.
- To reach the village the soldiers had to cross a small tidal creek running gently into the ocean.
- Shouts of protest ensue when students realize they have to ford a creek to get to the beach.
- Terrapins have been observed in several of the marsh creeks, but not in all of the creeks where searches were completed.
- Then during the spring months, the mesh bags are planted on creek banks during low tide.
- These were used for storing shellfish after they had been collected from nearby saltmarsh creeks and before they were taken to markets.
- Marcus tells Frank to pack his bags because they are heading to Twin Creeks.
- Pristine beaches, maritime forests, shimmering marshes, and tidal creeks await your exploration.
- My eyes scan the pewter-grey mudbanks and mudflats and a distant shoreline etched with filigrees of sinuous creeks.
- Walnut Creek is where he was picked up.
- At the tidal swamps, the shore is a low, narrow levee separating the waters of the creeks from the backwaters of the swamps.
- Living among creeks, lagoons, and salt marshes makes fishing and the salt trade part of everyday life in the area.
- Endless creeks and sounds divide the land up into a series of broad, semi-connected sandbars and islands, and the road loops along with bridge after bridge over wide, shallow waterways.
- In the south, coconut palms grow on a narrow coastal strip broken by lagoons and creeks.
- Coastal migrants can often be found along tidal creeks, salt marsh edges, and mudflats, rarely on sandy ocean beaches.
- Corsica rises like a mountain from the sea, creating a coast of steep cliffs and countless creeks, interspersed with tiny deserted beaches, and washed by crystal-clear water.
- A serpentine array of tidal creeks lined with tall-form Spartina occur throughout the marsh.
- Between the cliffs and the sea, the rhythmic movement of the tides is forming a new tidal marsh that includes mudflats, tidal creeks, tidal marshes, and tracts of shrubs.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.