In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1US(stream)arroyo masculineriachuelo masculine
- The seven men had spread out and were riding along the dry creek bed.
- Firefighters used a fork lift truck to rescue a stricken horse from a muddy creek.
- They turned away from the waterfall and watched the creek flowing, listened to it.
- After hours of hard training, everyone took turns taking baths in a nearby creek.
- In the western suburbs, creeks rose rapidly and flooded houses.
- Her lion tail flicked idly behind her as she walked towards the nearby creek.
- In a few areas, rock and snow slides dammed creeks, creating small lakes.
- Nearby, a smaller lake was created by damming a tributary creek.
- Anya let the cool water run over her as she lay down in the shallow creek.
- There is a tiny creek meandering among the rocks, which is also believed to have healing powers.
- He earned his nickname playing near a muddy creek as a child.
- Recently I was wading down a shallow creek in what I assumed was fresh water.
- She was able to drink from a nearby creek, but she had no food.
- We angled up a slope, rising away from the creek bottom.
- The equestrian trails are densely wooded, rocky and hilly with several small creek crossings.
- Fireflies danced about and the creek water seemed to glow from the moon's reflection.
- Damp mornings are excellent for this detail, especially in low areas such as draws and creek bottoms.
- The creek is flowing strong from all the runoff and spring thaw.
- They rested by a small creek running through the woods that had started to become more profuse.
- They are as at home in a mossy rock pool or muddy creek as on a spectacular wreck.
- Mudflats lie lower in the upper intertidal zone than marshes and are smooth, almost level surfaces across which tidal creeks meander.
- In the south, coconut palms grow on a narrow coastal strip broken by lagoons and creeks.
- Corsica rises like a mountain from the sea, creating a coast of steep cliffs and countless creeks, interspersed with tiny deserted beaches, and washed by crystal-clear water.
- These were used for storing shellfish after they had been collected from nearby saltmarsh creeks and before they were taken to markets.
- Shouts of protest ensue when students realize they have to ford a creek to get to the beach.
- Coastal migrants can often be found along tidal creeks, salt marsh edges, and mudflats, rarely on sandy ocean beaches.
- Between the cliffs and the sea, the rhythmic movement of the tides is forming a new tidal marsh that includes mudflats, tidal creeks, tidal marshes, and tracts of shrubs.
- Endless creeks and sounds divide the land up into a series of broad, semi-connected sandbars and islands, and the road loops along with bridge after bridge over wide, shallow waterways.
- Then during the spring months, the mesh bags are planted on creek banks during low tide.
- At the tidal swamps, the shore is a low, narrow levee separating the waters of the creeks from the backwaters of the swamps.
- Marcus tells Frank to pack his bags because they are heading to Twin Creeks.
- My eyes scan the pewter-grey mudbanks and mudflats and a distant shoreline etched with filigrees of sinuous creeks.
- Walnut Creek is where he was picked up.
- To reach the village the soldiers had to cross a small tidal creek running gently into the ocean.
- Living among creeks, lagoons, and salt marshes makes fishing and the salt trade part of everyday life in the area.
- Terrapins have been observed in several of the marsh creeks, but not in all of the creeks where searches were completed.
- Extensive oyster reefs blanketed the mudflats along the state's tidal creeks and fueled the thriving industry.
- A serpentine array of tidal creeks lined with tall-form Spartina occur throughout the marsh.
- Pristine beaches, maritime forests, shimmering marshes, and tidal creeks await your exploration.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.