In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He knew that his people wouldn't carry out that wish because it's not customary within general Maori protocol to cremate the dead.
- Requiem Mass took place the following day and he was cremated at a private ceremony.
- They were mostly Indian cultural ceremonies, but there were also several Europeans cremated on funeral pyres.
- I do believe that when a body is cremated or buried, it is just that - a body.
- Raising a monument to the memory of the deceased at the place where his dead body is cremated is taboo.
- It was excavated in the 1940s, but the bodies had been cremated and not buried.
- For now though, the city still buries and cremates its dead as it has done for the last century.
- On Wednesday, her body was cremated on a funeral pyre at a Buddhist temple, while her husband Josef watched silently.
- The wrong woman's body was cremated after an identification mix-up by a funeral parlour.
- Tibetans cremate their dead or bury them in a sky funeral, considered the only way to ensure rebirth.
- By Friday evening, 45 bodies had been cremated in mass ceremonies.
- The dead usually are cremated after an elaborate procession.
- Well, I have always talked about my body being cremated, and then having the ashes dispersed on a park or a garden.
- Another possibility is to remove filled teeth from dead people before bodies are cremated.
- Hindu, Buddhist, Jain and Sikhs cremate their dead.
- In the Hindu tradition, the dead are cremated, preferably on the banks of a river.
- His funeral took place in Plymouth and his body was cremated.
- According to Muslim traditions, a body must be cremated within 24 hours.
- Some great teachers of the past told their students simply to cremate their body and dispose of it, because the body is not important.
- They cremated their dead and placed urns of their ashes in flat graves in cemeteries.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.