In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Of course they can be dangerous if used by criminals or the criminally irresponsible.
- Most heroin users were criminals who committed crimes before they ever used drugs.
- Nor is it a police action against a random assortment of criminals or criminal gangs.
- The idea was to deter criminals with the ever-present threat of death for their crimes.
- They are tough on crime and criminals but what they can't contemplate are the causes.
- We join forces with others to reduce crime, the number of criminals and victims.
- People are fed up that when the police do catch criminals the punishment never seems to fit the crime.
- Why do we single out sex offenders as necessarily different from other criminals?
- This is the most horrible crime in humanity that's been committed by those criminals.
- Crime is flexible and criminals would soon find a way of dealing with greater surveillance.
- The old idea of criminals and drug dealers is not the way that these people do business anymore.
- There are few offenders more despicable than criminals who prey on the elderly and infirm.
- They are anxious not to upset anybody these days, even thugs and criminals.
- A threat as harsh as death to all that commit a serious crime would deter some criminals.
- One of the uses of capital punishment is to deter other criminals from committing more crimes.
- She said that if the worst crime hot spots were being tackled the criminals moved further afield.
- They all folded up on themselves and became a puzzle of incongruous crimes and criminals.
- They were just thugs and criminals who have now seen that justice can and will be done.
- I would also say that criminals who commit the most severe crimes lose their right to live.
- As I said before these people are criminals and murderers and should be treated as such.
(of crime)(act) delictivo(case) criminal(bankrupcy) fraudulento(mind/organization) criminalcriminal code — código penal masculine
- criminal conviction — condena
- criminal court — juzgado en lo penal
- to start criminal proceedings against sb — iniciar proceso penal / enjuiciamiento contra algn
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.