In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1¡cáspita! informal dated
- I know, I know, but cripes!
- So I guess the question is, how do you know if the nice guy is just being nice, or being NICE. He helped me break into my apartment after my purse got stolen and would have stayed over to protect me from masked bandits, for cripes sake!
- Why don't you just invite the entire pack over, for cripes sake?
- Well cripes, ya just can't seem to please some folks these days.
- Prekop's a fine musician, but cripes, I'm driving an SUV down the highway at 140-dozing off is not an option!
- Some of ‘em are in pretty good shape, but cripes!
- Oh cripes, that arrogant ass doesn't even have a weapon to defend himself with!
- He turned, surveyed the fallen bail, and said with almost tears in his eyes, ‘By cripes, I am unlucky!’
- I suppose if the rope was involved in a crime or has magical properties, you could maybe come up with a list of a dozen secrets or so, but cripes, 100?
- Aw, cripes hey buddy, I don't think you can smoke in here.
- Oh cripes… look at this!
- For cripes's sake if there is one thing you had better learn about working in a library is that you had better act nice.
- Oh, cripes, they think I'm a guy, Alex thought with a chuckle.
- Holy cripes, think of how the person in the truck who had the right-of-way will feel after plowing you down!
- I solved the barking dog issue with my neighbors, but cripes (!) now their cats are all over my yard and garage.
- Again, this is a stunning gain over the, cripes, 4 systems shipped in the same period last year and 55 moved in the fourth quarter of 2003.
- This Cheese Rolling thing is MAD, and I still can't believe how steep the hill was either, cripes!
- I don't normally get angry like that, but oooooh boy, cripes, that Caz really got me mad.
- Robert gasped in amazement, his mouth gaped open, he went as white as a sheet and his eyes opened wide. All he could say was ‘Nay, cripes!’
- Wish I could have been there… so I suppose it'd be hypocritical to whine about the low turnout, but cripes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.