In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Alfred picks up the discarded croquet mallets and follows them.
- My brother and I took a radio out onto the lawn and there smashed it into a thousand pieces with croquet mallets.
- You can play croquet on the lawn after lunch, walk in the forest and take a fishing rod out to the local rivers.
- With more leisure time available, lawn sports became fashionable, and games like croquet and lawn tennis cemented the value of a thick, well-groomed lawn as a base for family activities.
- Here the tennis court, croquet lawn and swimming pool are integral to the design.
- Visitors will be able to browse around bring and buy stalls, enjoy refreshments and take part in a game of croquet.
- The afternoon of croquet and side games will be followed by a social get-together.
- A game of croquet takes most of the day, and the two teams of four commenced at nine in the morning with doubles.
- It has a heated outdoor pool, outdoor kitchen and croquet lawn.
- In true Victorian style, you can play croquet on the lawn or chess, cards and board games in the games room.
- As long as there are children, croquet sets and lawn chairs, there will always be a reason for a lawn.
- The resort also has a supervised children's indoor area, tennis courts, a croquet lawn, a bowling green and archery facilities.
- It contained a bowling green and croquet lawn, both taken up now with extensions and parking.
- She swung the croquet mallet up onto her shoulder as though carrying a rifle in a passing out parade.
- Several people started a game of croquet, while a couple of the girls stripped down to bathing suits to sunbathe.
- That said, nearly all four-wheel-drive cars are equally capable of amazing their owners by getting stuck on little more than a mildly sloping croquet lawn.
- We used to play croquet on a croquet lawn at the back of the house.
- Some people like precise formal gardens, some want to play croquet on a big lawn, others like the wild country look.
- I played my first game of croquet on the lawn in his beautiful garden.
- The grounds include a gazebo, a putting green, water feature, croquet lawn and walkways through parkland and woodland.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.