In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Only a small cabal of cross-bench MPs made the decision.
- The cross-bench peer had tabled a written question before Parliament was dissolved for the election after one of his constituents raised concerns.
- The fact that government used the guillotine during the committee stage certainly did not contribute to any intelligent cross-bench discussion.
- ‘Be clear what is at stake here’ says the cross bench peer.
- In the Lords yesterday, cross-bench Baroness Masham of Ilton challenged ministers over Monday's Yorkshire Post report.
- Last week Boyd was named among those being elevated to the House of Lords, where he will sit as a cross-bench member, despite his Labour affiliations.
escaño ocupado por un diputado independiente
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.