In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It houses thousands of weapons, including guns and ammunition, knives, knuckledusters, coshes, crossbows and swords.
- A crossbow, rifles, swords and bayonets were some of the items collected at police stations across the region.
- Alex carefully took a bolt out of her crossbow and held it deftly into her mouth.
- The crossbows on the other hand were horizontal and would be drawn back and latched.
- He grunted in pain as a bolt from a crossbow tore a gash in his leg, then he plunged into the water and sank.
- He was hit with a bolt from the crossbow and then struck a number of times across the back of the head.
- The movie features many different races using many different types of longbows and crossbows in warfare.
- Then one of then pulled out a crossbow and shot arrows above my head.
- A goose miraculously survived when two bolts fired from a crossbow went through its neck.
- Bows fell into three main types: the composite bow, the crossbow, and the longbow.
- Here's another page about crossbows in the medieval period.
- Still, the bolts on the crossbows were pointed at him and he had no wish to die.
- They branched into other sporting goods, including pellet guns, crossbows and daggers.
- They used the cars for cover, effectively avoiding the badly-aimed wooden bolts of crossbows.
- The weapons unearthed include crossbows, hooks, lances, arrowheads, spears and swords.
- She took them to several different stands, all selling guns, crossbows, and other kinds of projectile weapons.
- Other lethal weapons such as swords, bayonets, crossbows and knives have also been surrendered.
- The men with crossbows quickly dropped their weapons and unsheathed their swords.
- The crossbow was too popular and too useful in war for either participating side of a war to give up its use.
- A group of soldiers come out with crossbows ready, their bolts burning at the end.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.