In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Bows fell into three main types: the composite bow, the crossbow, and the longbow.
- A crossbow, rifles, swords and bayonets were some of the items collected at police stations across the region.
- They branched into other sporting goods, including pellet guns, crossbows and daggers.
- A group of soldiers come out with crossbows ready, their bolts burning at the end.
- Here's another page about crossbows in the medieval period.
- Then one of then pulled out a crossbow and shot arrows above my head.
- The men with crossbows quickly dropped their weapons and unsheathed their swords.
- She took them to several different stands, all selling guns, crossbows, and other kinds of projectile weapons.
- The movie features many different races using many different types of longbows and crossbows in warfare.
- Other lethal weapons such as swords, bayonets, crossbows and knives have also been surrendered.
- He was hit with a bolt from the crossbow and then struck a number of times across the back of the head.
- The crossbows on the other hand were horizontal and would be drawn back and latched.
- It houses thousands of weapons, including guns and ammunition, knives, knuckledusters, coshes, crossbows and swords.
- Still, the bolts on the crossbows were pointed at him and he had no wish to die.
- Alex carefully took a bolt out of her crossbow and held it deftly into her mouth.
- They used the cars for cover, effectively avoiding the badly-aimed wooden bolts of crossbows.
- A goose miraculously survived when two bolts fired from a crossbow went through its neck.
- He grunted in pain as a bolt from a crossbow tore a gash in his leg, then he plunged into the water and sank.
- The weapons unearthed include crossbows, hooks, lances, arrowheads, spears and swords.
- The crossbow was too popular and too useful in war for either participating side of a war to give up its use.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.