In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1crueldad femininecruelty to sb — crueldad con algn
- society for the prevention of cruelty to animals — sociedad protectora de animales
- The cruelty perpetrated on the family must cease immediately.
- Why did people behave as they did - whether with cruelty or kindness, cravenness or courage?
- The casual, unthinking cruelty of children is brilliantly evoked here.
- Officials acting on our behalf committed unspeakable cruelty on a man already wrongly imprisoned for 17 years.
- What matters most is that prohibitions against human cruelty be hard and binding.
- There can be no neutrality between justice and cruelty, between the innocent and the guilty.
- The whole point of this storyline is that he has reduced her to a gibbering wreck through emotional and verbal cruelty without any physical violence.
- The fact that credible scientists found there was not excess suffering or cruelty involved was ignored.
- I hope the resulting media coverage will help to foster a greater awareness of the cruelty involved.
- Why were children treated with such cruelty, both physical and emotional?
- I shall not treat either of you with undue cruelty, but neither do I have any intention of pardoning your deeds.
- Mistakes I can forgive, but deliberate intent to harm or random acts of cruelty, I find repulsive.
- A prince may be ruthless when it is prudent, but wanton cruelty is foolish.
- If women resisted sexual advances, they risked physical cruelty and punishment.
- But this temptation is dangerous because history contains too much cruelty at the hands of the pious.
- They emphasise, instead, the degree of cruelty inflicted by men on women.
- We suffered cruelty and abandonment even as we continued to teach the world about a loving God.
- Is the response to the extreme cruelty of tyrants the defining moment of the human condition?
- I felt like a Roman emperor, looking down on my subject wondering whether to show mercy or cruelty.
- Maybe it was because of casual human cruelty.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.