In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(of bread, cake)miga femininethe sales figures offer a crumb of comfort — las cifras de venta brindan algo de consuelo
- I need every crumb of information I can get — necesito toda la información que pueda obtener
- crumbs from the rich man's table — las migajas del banquete
- Put the biscuits in a large polythene bag and smash into fine crumbs with a rolling pin, or do this in a food processor.
- He stood and brushed the crumbs of bread off of him, knowing well how difficult it would be to follow his own advice.
- To make the stuffing, whiz the bread in a food processor until it forms fine crumbs.
- It looks good but when you cut into the cake it collapses into crumbs.
- I turned around, looking where Thomas had sat just a moment before but now all that remained on the chair were a couple of crumbs of bread.
- Crush the biscuits into a crumb texture, add the melted butter and mix together.
- Grind fresh whole-wheat bread in a food processor to make fresh crumbs.
- She came here in the summer to watch the Canada Geese huddle around picnickers, waiting for one of them to toss a crumb of bread.
- The little bird sang out again, and I rose and gave it a crumb of bread from the larder chest.
- They analyzed the remains of food left in tombs as offerings and the residues of beer and crumbs of bread encrusted on pottery shards and vessels.
- Process chocolate wafers into fine crumbs in a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Adam licked the last few crumbs of bread from his lips.
- Wilhelm swallowed the last of the bread and dusted the crumbs from his hands.
- Rowena looked around at the wreck of her cake, at all the dirty dishes and the cake crumbs under the cooling racks.
- He picked dully at the cheesecake dish, which was now empty except for a few stray crust crumbs and bits of cake smeared about, wondering idly if one could read cheesecake smears like tea leaves.
- My desk is now clear of cake crumbs, chocolate wrappers, crisp packets, coffee stains and assorted bits of paper that might or might not have had something to do with my job.
- In your food processor, reduce the chocolate butter cookies to crumbs.
- Angel held out an empty plate, with a fork and a few chocolate cake crumbs on it.
- So I continuously have chocolate cake crumbs on my head, my hair, my jumper, my collar, my shoulders, my eyelashes, my tummy, my lap…
- Whiz the bread to rough crumbs in a food processor, or grate it by hand.
1.2slang (worthless person)mequetrefe informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.