In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1gas lacrimógeno masculine
- All forces now have similar units (under various names), trained in riot control, use of firearms and sometimes CS gas.
- As the policeman leaped out of his car, the man raised the hammer above the girl's head but the quick-thinking officer managed to spray CS gas in his face, causing him to release the girl instantly.
- In her complaint, she says her husband was pinned to the floor, sprayed with CS gas and handcuffed excessively tightly despite putting up no resistance to being arrested.
- Police officers could have triggered a father of five's death from a sudden heart attack three days after they sprayed CS gas in his face, an inquest heard.
- Officers will become comfortable using riot gear including shields, CS gas and batons and will work through realistic scenarios learning how to deal with violent individuals and crowds.
- The court heard how weapons confiscated from the gang included a sword, knives of various sizes along with a small axe, CS gas, nunchucks and a baseball bat with 50 spikes in it.
- One witness said police told him not to walk down Park Road as the air was filled with CS gas.
- Although no knives were recovered as a result of scanning, arrests were made for people with knives and CS gas by ‘spotter’ officers operating in other parts of town.
- Twenty-four police officers in riot gear using CS gas, five of them injured, nineteen people arrested, three pubs closed, traffic backed up for miles.
- An Army sergeant accused of smuggling CS gas into Britain claimed it was to be used to train recruits against nuclear, biological and chemical attack, a court heard yesterday.
- And the offenders brandished guns and sprayed CS gas into victims' faces and evaded capture by ramming into police cars, injuring officers.
- Finally, the use of CS gas will aid in the dispersal of an unruly mob without causing any permanent damage.
- Across the county knives and other offensive weapons such as CS gas or pepper sprays, which are prohibited under firearms legislation, are also included in the amnesty.
- A passer-by got involved and started shouting and chasing the three people down the street but as he approached them they sprayed what I believe was CS gas into his face.
- The operation resulted in 11 people being charged with conspiracy to supply drugs, and a large amount of cash, vehicles, weapons, drugs and CS gas were recovered.
- Teachers were so concerned that they called police and at one point an officer was forced to threaten to use CS gas to disperse the crowd.
- Everyone knew and everyone mentioned that a Bangladeshi man had been sprayed with CS gas in a struggle with the police on Sunday, when questioned about a suspicious tax disc.
- In his capacity as a GP working during the Troubles, he has researched the harmful effects of heavy exposure to CS gas on the local population.
- Some rubber bullets were fired, followed by CS gas.
- Police used CS gas and made 40 preventative arrests.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.