In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Between this pillar and the pillar of the true Trinity there was a gap three cubits wide in the wall.
- The English system of yards, pounds, and acres is more compatible with Biblical measurements such as cubits.
- Summers mentions Indian sculpture that uses the palm as a module and Egyptian reliefs that use grids and cubits as their units.
- The room must be at least 4 cubits by 4 cubits.
- According to the Bible, the Ark was 300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide and 30 cubits high.
- The basic measuring instrument was the cubit rod, the cubit being the length of the pharaoh's arm from his elbow to the tip of his fingers.
- It starts about an hour before sunrise (from when you can recognize a friend from four cubits away), and continues until about 8 a.m.
- Tamil Brahman women wear a sari that is eighteen cubits long.
- In the book of Daniel, chapter 3:1 to 2, the Bible tells us that Nebuchadnezzar made a huge image of gold about 60 cubits high and six cubits wide.
- At this height the statue would have measured between three and seven feet (one and two meters), depending on the length of the cubit.
- When Noah complains that 300 cubits is awfully long for a boat, God tells him: ‘I think big.’
- David leveled the Philistine Goliath, ‘whose height was six cubits and a span,’ with a stone.
- A tree measuring 50 cubits in height is constructed in Haman's palace where Mordechai is scheduled to be hung in humiliation immediately before the royal feast the following day.
- After it had been quarried at Hatnub, I had it transported downstream in the barge that I had made for it, a barge of acacia wood of 60 cubits in length and 30 cubits in width.
- The temple extended 60 cubit beneath the earth and rose 120 cubits above the surface.
- And from the deserts of India, too, came ancient reports of a serpent seventy cubits - that is, more than a hundred feet - long.
- In ancient Egypt, a cubit was the distance from the elbow to the fingertips.
- The base is a square of side 4 cubits, the top is a square of side 2 cubits and the height of the truncated pyramid is 6 cubits.
- The street twisted and turned to such a degree, he could not see more than twelve cubits in any direction.
- It took a line of 30 cubits to measure around it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.