In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The most famous Andalusian dish is gazpacho, a cold soup made with tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and olive oil.
- Opt for water-bearing vegetables, such as squash, zucchini, asparagus, leafy green salads, tomatoes and cucumbers.
- There are salad sandwiches wrapped in black plastic bags, hummus, pickled cucumbers sealed into an old plastic margarine tub and home-made goat's cheese.
- No breakfast is complete without a large bowl of finely chopped cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and parsley tossed together and drenched in olive oil, a mainstay of the Israeli kitchen.
- Serve the roast beef with a salad of fresh vegetables, pickled cucumbers and chopped celery.
- The pork sauce mixes pork with pickled cucumbers.
- Without wiping the knife, they begin slicing the cucumbers and tomatoes for the salad, tossing it all together, then triumphantly setting it down on the table.
- Twenty years ago, we started to teach people that pickling cucumbers are wonderful in salads.
- Just before serving, add the tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions, parsley, mint and olives, and mix well.
- I had a thinly-sliced cucumber salad with shallots, a sprinkling of crumbled feta cheese and pine kernels.
- The lamb tenderloin, garnished with minted yogurt and cucumbers, was a successful riff on the classic Greek dish.
- A cool cucumber and yoghurt dip is a refreshing accompaniment for grilled chops.
- Eat with crusty bread and perhaps a tomato and cucumber salad.
- We ate it with rice and a salad with radishes and cucumbers.
- I chose a green salad with cucumbers and lettuce, perfect with some salt and the balsamic vinegar, and my companion ordered a green salad with tuna.
- It was called Jerusalem Salad and it had tomatoes and cucumbers, olive oil, lemon, olives and goat cheese.
- Pickling cucumbers are available almost exclusively during the summer.
- Lay an oyster on top of the cucumber salad and garnish with the remoulade.
- Ingredients such as feta cheese, yogurt, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, and eggplant are commonly used.
- The side salad was so fresh and wonderful: it was a grain with cucumbers, tomato, onion mixed in all dressed with oil and vinegar.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.