In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Many will say that we as a society have lost our culture and tradition, and there is no longer a sense of respect or care.
- We have all the laws and ordinances but these are pre-empted by culture and social values.
- As a result, much of traditional Azande culture and custom has ceased to exist.
- We have expertise in understanding culture, conflict resolution and capacity building.
- After all, what good is all the technical knowledge without an appreciation and understanding of our culture?
- Our customs, culture, and societal structure demands the presence of the father.
- Even two people in the same culture will make different connections between sets of ideas.
- Two fundamental social cleavages of Canadian society are language and culture.
- For him the work involves appreciating another culture and understanding how it thinks.
- He repeatedly celebrated the revival of the Hebrew culture and the cultural achievements of the Jews.
- It suggests the mythical dimension inherent in all genuine expressions of human culture and literature.
- If we don't attend to our moral traditions - to our culture - then our society could come apart at the seams.
- They have been studied extensively and figure prominently in human culture and mythology.
- He embraced new ideas and technology, yet cherished his people's culture and customs.
- This primarily involves questions about a society's culture, social life, and public sphere.
- Like Flaubert and Proust, he was the son of a doctor, in that era a profession of wide culture and learning.
- These quotations highlight the role of culture and society in shaping the behavior of both men and women.
- It has played a huge role in the development of human culture, and for centuries has contributed in the most fundamental way to philosophy.
- One is to recommend that immigrants conform to the customs, habits and culture of their host country.
- While the study of Aboriginal art and culture is now regarded as important, this was not always the case.
- Their customs and culture are part of the rich heritage of our country.
2(intellectual activity)cultura femininea man of great culture — un hombre de gran cultura
- a person of no culture — una persona sin ninguna cultura
- This juxtaposition is exemplary of the divide and attempted dialogue between contemporary art and popular culture.
- Cultural boundaries - between east and west, popular culture and high art - are dissolved.
- He remains an aesthete, but his appreciation of culture is now spiritually empty.
- Sport, and its relationship with the media, have become key markers of late - 20th century popular culture.
- You are most likely to have come across the UK's popular culture through its pop music, television and films.
- I have a lot of respect for him, particularly regarding his place in popular culture.
- Links are made to the fields of history, literature, music and popular culture.
- Their chief concern was mass culture and popular art and their topics included cinema, pop music, cars and science fiction.
- Music, and popular culture as we knew it, would never be the same again.
- The absence of a sustained analysis on the role of literature and popular culture in the shaping of national identity is more serious.
- The breakthrough of punk internationally put rock music and popular culture back in the hands of fans and amateurs.
- Scott has always been preoccupied with diffusing the distinction between high art and popular culture.
- As so often these days, a study of the past of archaeology throws up revealing insights into modern intellectual culture.
- It seeks to impose ever-greater restrictions on a broad range of human knowledge and culture.
- Those topics are the impact of technology and popular mass culture, both elusive subjects with which to deal in general terms.
- The auteur's true genius lies in his ability to combine high art with popular culture.
- It has often been regarded, like folk music, as a genuine popular culture, in danger of extinction.
- Like others, she is also against the misogyny in so much of our popular and intellectual culture.
- Music was a vital part of human culture long before anyone was able to mass reproduce and sell recordings of it.
- This is not fringe culture, but rather intelligent, mature art that can appeal to a much larger audience than it currently receives.
3Biologycultivo masculinebefore noun culture medium — caldo de cultivo masculine
- We presume this reduction reflects dead cells in the mutant cultures, as noted above.
- Slides from the same blood cultures were later prepared for automated analysis.
- Samples from three independently grown cell cultures were analyzed in parallel.
- Lab mice and chick embryos infected with the virus died quickly, and it also grew rapidly in cultures of human lung cells.
- The vaccine continued to be used for many years, until replaced by a vaccine prepared in cell cultures.
- Circadian rhythms are known to be exhibited by all peripheral tissues and mammalian cells in culture.
- The ratio of percent binucleate to mononucleate cells was used as a parameter of cell proliferation in culture.
- Imagine the ability to grow human cells in culture to grow muscle tissue.
- A feature shared by senescent cells in culture and in vivo is shortening of the telomeres.
- Chromosome analysis requires growing cells in culture and harvesting dividing cells.
4Farmingmasculine cultivofeminine cría
- During plant culture, young roots were harvested at the end of the light period on 4-week-old plants.
- However, this approach has so far failed because of failure to regenerate plants from culture.
- Plants were cultivated under the same conditions as in hydroponic culture.
- A flexible tube connected the bottoms of the two chambers during plant culture, but the tube was blocked during treatments.
- It is important to buy from a grower who gives you good culture directions for the plant you buy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.