In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1a study-cum-library — un estudio-biblioteca
- my secretary-cum-assistant — mi secretaria y ayudante a la vez
- The result was an anguished 1,500-word confession cum apologia.
- He is a political science academic cum activist who regularly contributes to the media and think tanks.
- In the last six months, his property - a business premises cum residence - has been broken into three times.
- There is also a separate bathroom and a large kitchen cum living room.
- We ended up in this nightclub cum bowling alley - bizarre little place.
- I imagined the interior of my brain as a stuffed, antiquated file room cum library.
- The young winger cum full-back has suffered a serious recurrence of a knee injury and a specialist has said he needs to undergo full knee reconstruction.
- There will be a minimum of ten overhead apartments, a restaurant, a licensed premises cum nightclub, and many other facilities.
- It is understood that it plans to provide a first floor coffee shop cum restaurant and to open a retail outlet on the ground floor.
- They were more than happy to be involved in the process of selecting the new crop of anchors cum reporters and in training them.
- The same applies to his long-running Korean-war vet cum knight errant.
- Initially, he worked as a shepherd, but these days the 64-year-old earns his keep as a school handyman cum lollipop man.
- Having the two chefs cum waiters serving there is no need for her or anyone else to run around making sure everyone is being looked after.
- The film veers away from the teacher's acute grief and becomes plot-driven - an escape drama cum love story.
- This unusual but charming book is a travel guide - cum - recipe book exploring the people and palate of the Italian capital where the author grew up.
- This is a smart move, because otherwise the whole thing would be so creaky and old-fashioned that only the most determined Christie fan cum couch potato would watch it.
- It is a peek inside a highly personal diary cum living photo album.
- Kilcullen had, in the 1980's, acquired a new community centre cum sports hall.
- The pillar bases in these photographs belong to a stupa - cum - monastery complex.
- Have you wondered what the advantage of a rock star cum blogger is?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.