In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A cumulonimbus has drifted over the spires of downtown, where it hangs like a vast gray anvil.
- The rising air is associated with a region of low air pressure, towering cumulonimbus clouds and rain.
- The rising air cools and produces towering cumulus and cumulonimbus clouds.
- As air rises in a large cumulonimbus or thunderhead cloud condensation occurs and all three forms of water are present.
- First, thunderstorms are birthed by cumulonimbus clouds.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.