In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(cabinet)armario masculine(in dining room) aparador masculine
- She set the cup back on the table then opened the cupboard under the sink.
- He wondered whether anyone would object to him typing up his story in a nice, dark broom cupboard.
- They can hold their attraction even through our wooden kitchen cupboard doors.
- Problem is, during the '90s, we let the cupboards go bare.
- A utility room off the kitchen includes a fitted broom cupboard, floor units and stainless steel sink.
- For protecting and sustaining life, the cupboards go bare.
- Upstairs are two bedrooms, a bathroom and an airing cupboard on the landing.
- There is also a large built-in storage cupboard in the landing.
- There is also a mystery surrounding some of the kitchen cupboard doors and drawers.
- I got out of the shower and searched the bathroom cupboards.
- The three remaining double bedrooms are all painted white and one has a large walk-in cupboard.
- She led them through where they asked her to clear out the cupboard under the sink.
- Behind this is a family room with an open fireplace and built-in storage cupboards.
- On the store cupboard shelves are trays of potatoes, cabbages and carrots.
- There is a large walk-in airing cupboard and a family bathroom on this floor.
- Tax cuts in two successive sessions, '97 and '99, left the state's cupboard bare.
- The entrance hall is spacious and has an understairs cloak cupboard.
- He opened a cupboard which was filled, ceiling to floor, with rows and rows of DVDs and videos.
- I find the small cupboard under the stairs and see that there is some food.
- Work on the block had not finished so the screens had been moved to an unlocked store cupboard.
2British(full-length, built-in)armario masculineclóset masculine River Plate Latin Americaplacard masculine River Plate
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.