In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Milk, butter, sour cream, and curd cheese were traditionally highly prized additions to the diet.
- Salami, curd cheese, eggs, porridge and bread are combined with any supper left over from the evening before.
- Those squares of crumbly, white curd cheese served with your Greek Salad, or as part of the mezzo generously supplied with the ouzo in Greece may not have been the real thing in the past.
- Papas chorreadas (literally ‘poured-upon potatoes’) are dishes in which boiled potatoes are smothered by a sauce, e.g. tomato, cheese, and coriander or spring onion and curd cheese.
- It is similar to what is called faisselle elsewhere in France, an unsalted soft curd cheese sold in a double container: the inner container holds the cheese and has holes in it, so that the whey can drain out into the outer container.
- Their speciality is creamy, full-flavoured brine-washed cow's milk, Criffel and fresh ricotta, a simple curd cheese.
- It is a washed curd cheese with a mellow taste that's suitable for any time of the day and is available at the farm gate or through Carlow Farmers' Market.
- When they were ready, I ate them, warm and wrapped around curd cheese and fresh herbs.
- The milk of goats and sheep was made into curd cheese and sometimes flavoured with poppy seeds.
- A traditional English curd cheese with added organic ingredients such as apricots, roasted seeds or garlic is also being tried as well as a Sheffield version of Brie.
- Examples featured apricot chutney and triple curd cheese but, at £7.50, they were beyond our budget.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.