In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Imagine the Scottish curling or swimming championships taking place here, in the off-season for golf.
- If you knew that the preliminary rounds of Olympic curling began this week, you're probably on the team.
- It was the first time curling had been staged at the games.
- Well the modern game of curling really comes from Scotland.
- She was fascinated by the strategies of curling whilst watching the Olympic gold medal-winning team two years ago.
- Currently Halifax, which, in sporting terms, has hosted big curling, ice skating and ice hockey events, has one 10,000-seat arena.
- She enjoyed women's baseball in her younger days, and later she took up curling, especially enjoying bonspiels.
- Tonight, amid a galaxy of sporting stars, curling will be back in the limelight.
- He was draw master for the senior mens' mixed curling for a while, as well as committee member for the Senior Golf Tournament for men and mixed, for a number of years.
- The unknown sport of curling grips the nation as the British woman win the gold medal with the very last stone.
- But curling is not a big game in this country and the tabloids can't see past football.
- In its essence, bowls is a combination of curling, chess and mini-golf.
- I had only the vaguest notion of curling until the recent 2002 Winter Olympics in Utah.
- He enjoys the sportsmanship of the sport so much he is a promoter and organizer of curling events.
- Inspired by their parents, the two took up curling in 1987 at the age of 12.
- The curling was part of the grade six physical education program at Elmdale School.
- Can the nation which gave the world golf and curling and revolutionised football in Victorian times look forward to a prosperous and healthy sporting future?
- It's a popular centre for the sport of curling, an old game which is especially associated with Scotland.
- The sport of curling is a big deal here - Scotland won a gold medal at the last Olympics.
- The next sports to follow will be athletics, curling and rugby.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.