In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1jibia femininesepia feminine
- The whale's prey includes squid, cuttlefish, herring, and sea stars, or starfish.
- Nautilus shells are often used decoratively, and the internal shell of a cuttlefish, or cuttle bone, is sold in the pet trade as a calcium source for birds.
- Both cuttlefish and squid may be called inkfish.
- Ammonoids are descendants of the extinct, primitive coiled nautiloids and they are extinct relatives of modern squid, octopus, cuttlefish, and nautilus.
- Her current experiments on learning suggest that both cephalopods do well with spatial learning; cuttlefishes seem to learn their way around a maze with the same facility as octopuses.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.