In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(person)checo masculinecheca feminine
- The Danes, the Poles and the Czechs also look like they could say no.
- Like so many Czechs, he has lived most of his life in exile.
- Imbued with bucolic patriotism, his music aroused his fellow Czechs to self-determination.
- After defeating the undefeatable French last time out, more was expected of the Czechs in Dublin.
- Most of the Czech Republic's approximately 10 million inhabitants are Czech.
- The Czechs, Hungarians and the citizens from other East European states have a similar history.
- In 1963, he became the youngest England captain at the age of 23 when he led his side out to face the Czechs.
- The strength of the Czechs, despite fielding a relatively small team, was evident.
- Fewer than 20 percent of Czechs approve of, or even believe in, their government.
- Reyna says his team-mates have already put behind them their disappointing performance against the Czechs.
- The Czechs are over-endowed with great composers, but the symphony that stirs them most comes from a minor master.
- This means the Czechs are through to the quarter finals and means Germany must beat them to go through.
- A look at Czech history reveals why some Czechs are so unwilling to accept fiscal change
- The vast majority of Czechs do not believe there is a God at all.
- The Dutch will go through with victory against Latvia only if the Germans do not beat the Czechs.
- Sometimes, if I need something special, I can ask someone who is Czech to help me find the right words.
- ‘Starting a new rally for the first time is never easy,’ said the 29-year-old Czech.
- Bulgaria used to be a traditional and favourite destination for the Czechs, according to the historian.
- Other numerically significant ethnic groups of Austria include Slovenes, Croats, and Czechs.
- It's such a short journey to Germany that the tournament could almost feel like a home event to the Czechs.
- Sophie is amazingly good at language - she's fluent in Czech.
- For about ten minutes, one gentleman asked me questions in English, and the interpreter translated them into Czech.
- One-third of Slovaks between the ages of 17 and 24 do not speak Czech.
- Polish is a West Slavic language, part of the Lekhite subgroup, and is similar to Czech and Slovak.
- Smetana's patriotic feelings had been well to the fore in 1848, and though a German speaker he took pains to improve his command of Czech in the 1860s.
- She shuts herself away from the world while she translates a trashy thriller from Czech into English.
- He speaks Russian, French, Czech and Bulgarian.
- Students at Charles University face fees of up to £40,000 for the six-year medical course and are required to speak some Czech.
- Her upbringing by her foster family in the Czech Republic had taught her not just Czech, but how to read the Russian language.
- The book was translated into Czech, Polish, Spanish, and Portuguese.
- Although he would be educated in German, the family spoke Czech at home.
- During the national revival of the 19th century, all of Shakespeare's plays were translated into Czech from English editions and most of them produced in Prague.
- The whole family speak three languages - Czech, German and English.
- I am still recovering from a bad experience the first day I worked up the courage to speak Czech.
- Political circumstances beginning nearly a thousand years ago separated populations, but Slovak and Czech are still mutually intelligible.
- Slovenian is a South Slavic language, closely related to Croatian and similar to other Slavic languages, such as Czech.
- In the border provinces, Italian, Slovene, Croatian, Hungarian, and Czech are also spoken.
- The station was heaving with hundreds of other festivalgoers, speaking every European language from English to Czech.
- Reprinted five times in the 1920s, the book was translated into French, Czech, and other languages.
- To them Czech was and remained a natural language of communication.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.