In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1to dab sth with sth
- to dab sth on sth
- she dabbed the child's eyes with her handkerchief — le secó los ojos al niño con el pañuelo
- dab the stain with a damp cloth — frote suavemente la mancha con un trapo húmedo
- dab a bit of glue on it — ponle una gotita de pegamento
- dab antiseptic on the cut — dese unos toques de antiséptico en la herida
- dab the stain off with a wet sponge — quite la mancha dándole ligeros toques con una esponja mojada
1to dab at sth — dar toquecitos a algo
- In Jutland dabs are salted and dried and sold under a name which means ‘dried Jutlanders’.
- In fact, the very biggest dabs are often found inshore during periods when sprat shoals are tight to shore during flat calm seas in the middle of high-pressure weather systems.
- The traps would have mainly been used in flowing rivers and tidal estuaries to catch all manner of fish including eel, salmon, trout, dabs, flounders, etc.
- Nobody would say that a flounder, dab or rockling is going to pull hard, although I admit that flounder on light rods are fun.
- Providing you're casting on to sand, it doesn't matter if you're fishing from a pier, breakwater, surf beach or rock ledge, the dabs will be there.
- As my travels have taken me further and further away from cod and dabs and more into wahoo and tuna territory, so my tastes have been widened and I think I now have what could be called a cosmopolitan piscine palate.
- The most common are dragonets, topknots, dabs, plaice and, if you're lucky, the occasional anglerfish and thornback ray.
- These are always the prime spots for bass, dabs and plaice.
- The same kinds of places can throw up plaice, small turbot and dabs during the daytime, especially around the mouth of the Camel estuary, within which the fishing port of Padstow resides.
- Even though this rig is especially good for gurnards, it also proves superbly successful for dabs, plaice, megrim, even small turbot and brill, also haddock, cod and whiting.
- The tope work around the rising edges and base of these banks scaring up dabs, whiting and gurnards that hug the sand waiting for food to be brought to them by the tide.
- I dabbed on little piles of wasabi and pickled ginger around the rice and between the fish.
- I also dabbed on some lip-gloss and blush, and even managed to evenly apply some black eyeliner.
- A few minutes later, after I dabbed on some foundation and lip gloss, I was ready to go.
- They were black specks in the distance, nothing more than what looked to be dots of blotched ink dabbed on to the bright, clear blue sky.
- Use a small, pointed brush to dab a tiny amount of concealer right on the blemish, pressing into the spot to cover completely.
- Leave the layer of dead skin intact and dab antibiotic ointment on it.
- You are, perhaps, more likely to dab on some moisturising cream that you know and trust rather than some unknown concoction in a vanilla coloured jar.
- For a mottled effect try painting your pot in a plain color then use a small sea sponge to dab on a contrasting color after the base color has dried.
- I dabbed concealer on some red spots and put on a coat of rusty colored lipstick.
- Afterwards she fixed her ponytail and dabbed on some cherry lip gloss before heading out the door.
- Apply by gently dabbing the lotion onto cleansed skin with a cottonwool ball, and then leave it to dry.
- I dabbed my lips lightly with lip gloss and stood back to assess myself.
- The sample - usually blood or cells from inside the cheek - is dabbed on to a stain card and returned to the lab in a tamperproof bag.
- More than just dabbing bits of colour on eggs, in Hungary egg painting is considered an art.
- She shrieked in pain when a nurse dabbed ointment on her skin.
- To fragrance your kitchen cabinets and drawers, place a good scent dabbed on a cotton ball into an inconspicuous comer.
- Beth quickly ran a hairbrush through her blonde hair and dabbed on the tiniest bit of make-up.
- Individual sores or insect bites can be dabbed directly with lavender oil.
- Solve the problem of dry lips by dabbing your lips with lip balm.
- I quickly splashed cold water to my face, tied my hair in a low ponytail and dabbed concealer to that annoying, red spot on my nose.
2(small amount)masculine toquefeminine gotamasculine toquea dab of mustard — un poquito de mostaza
3(pat)he gave his tie a dab with a damp cloth — se frotó un poco la corbata con un trapo húmedo
4Britishslang(fingerprints)huellas digitaleshuellas dactilares
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.