In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Dalai Lama masculine
- During his visit to the U.S., the Dalai Lama met with the President.
- The event, which will honour the Dalai Lama, Shirin Ebadi, Vaclav Havel, and Desmond Tutu, will take place at Vancouver's Christ Church Cathedral on April 20.
- Twenty years ago the Dalai Lama designated land here for the education of local children.
- The Dalai Lama and a group of scientists set out to debate and answer this issue some time back.
- On its part, the western world was in so deep a spiritual quagmire that only a Dalai Lama could help it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.