In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Northern parts of the county, particularly the dales and moors, are popular with incomers.
- Starting in Alstonefield, we descended into Wolfscote Dale, following the river along the entire length of the dale until we reached Shining Tor.
- His atmospheric, visionary work is deeply rooted in the moors, fells and dales of North Yorkshire, and his paintings range in price from £250 to £4,500.
- For hundreds of years they have worked the dales, the vales, the moors and rest of Yorkshire's countryside and moulded it into the scenery we admire so much today.
- From sandy beaches to lofty mountain tops, rolling dales to bustling cities, we've got the lot.
- Ah, it really is good to see city kids find their feet on the terrain of the Yorkshire dales!
- Between a third and half of the dew ponds, unique to the limestone dales in the White Peak, have also disappeared.
- He would write walking guides with routes that took in some of the finest pubs on the dales and moors.
- During my daughter's recent break in the dales we decided to walk from Langcliffe to Malham and back, walking around Langcliffe Scar.
- Walkers are unlikely to be able to roam freely across the moors and dales of North Yorkshire this summer, farmers' leader Ben Gill warned today.
- Location managers are keen to capitalise on county's moorland, coast, dales and historic capital city.
- ‘If we had say four inches of snow up in the dales, followed by a thaw and heavy rainfall, that would put our defences to a severe test,’ admits John.
- Helen Mark's out and about in the hills and dales of Derbyshire, a county with a landscape that's literally as pretty as a picture.
- There are many books dedicated to the mountains and lakes of the Lake District but none celebrate the stunning dales that are a feature of the national park.
- The dales, vales and hills of our region will be alive with the sound of music when the county becomes the venue for a record-breaking live music event.
- ‘I have been advised that if this does not happen this year, then it will never happen and that would be very sad indeed for the people of the upper dale,’ he said.
- Sedbergh looked beautiful the sun was shining on the hills and dales so I can't see that the series will do us anything but good.
- Their victory is visible in the houses and crofts that still spread across the hills of the glen and the dale.
- It's one of the most remote dales in Yorkshire, the northern-most.
- Great friendship has extended to me whenever I come up into the dales.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.