In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- After the blow-up, David went to authorities with a box of damning evidence.
- Instead of a damning critique he offers redemption through the invocation of a moral imperative.
- Each witness sits on the witness chair and delivers a piece of damning evidence.
- Suspicion rested on a handful of a details, which the Crown took as damning evidence and for which her defence said there was a perfectly innocent explanation.
- How many more damning reports have to be written before the Government takes epilepsy seriously?
- Here is the damning evidence of the extent of the government's betrayal.
- The damning report into e-voting confirmed all the warnings from critics.
- These remarks, intended as praise, are in reality the most damning criticism.
- A damning critic of the United Nations, he was also the Senate's champion of international law.
- There is damning evidence that their human rights have been routinely violated over many years and allegations that this has continued until very recently.
- Listening to Burns, it is difficult to quibble with his damning assessment.
- As a junior attorney on the case, I recall all too vividly the many hours spent combing through those documents for damning evidence.
- The doctor gave damning evidence in the trial of Mrs Symons, saying that one of her children, Jenny, had died from being shaken.
- Potentially damning physical or forensic evidence is scant in the Peters case.
- Chomsky gave a damning critique of US and British imperialism in the Middle East.
- A school for children with learning difficulties has been severely criticised and branded ineffective by inspectors in a damning report.
- The report was a damning indictment of declining safety standards between 2003 and May 2005.
- One in 10 asthma deaths in Scotland is due to inadequate treatment and widespread ignorance of the condition among health staff, a damning new report has revealed.
- Both reports are a damning indictment of the criminal negligence of the military.
- We passed our damning evidence to the police, who swooped on the companies' premises and arrested the masterminds behind the bogus operation.
- Hers is a damning indictment of Executive policy and she makes a strong case.
- For some, no amount of damning evidence will sway them from their allegiance.
- The police unearthed some fairly damning evidence against the Freemans, and the list of alleged victims only grew longer.
- Regeneration plans for the town centre have been slated in a damning report by English Heritage.
- Not surprisingly, Edmunds's defence team did not attempt to challenge any of this damning evidence.
- The report on the operation of the Communications Centres Service Centre is very damning.
- Not long after this damning report, criticism again rained on the Bank.
- Hundreds of mothers with severe postnatal depression are being forced to leave their new-born babies behind to get treatment at Scotland's psychiatric units, a damning report has revealed.
- However some of the damning evidence later proved to be inconclusive.
- According to a Sunday newspaper, the damning evidence is contained in an e-mail sent by Jones.
- My third and most damning criticism of expanding numbers in further education is an economic one.
- The damning criticism is contained in a report which also reveals the Isle of Wight's three jails are failing.
- If his hair and Natalee's hair is on it, yes it'll be very damning evidence and possibly proof beyond a reasonable doubt.
- Frank discovers that the good Reverend may be involved in some shady, sinister dealings when he discovers damning evidence in a wall safe.
- His lawyer uncovered some potentially damning evidence against the opposition.
- The inquiry also heard damning evidence that CSL and other Government bodies failed to protect public safety.
- Poor financial planning was one of the many criticisms in a damning report on the council by the Audit Commission earlier this year.
- There is the possibility, still, that further and far more damning evidence has yet to be divulged.
- It may turn out that there is damning evidence that we have not yet seen.
- Despite its denials and stonewalling, damning evidence has come to light implicating it in the deaths.
- Despite the damning report, education chiefs have welcomed the criticism which they say is balanced and helpful.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.