In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of piano)sordina feminine
- Although the escapement enables the hammer to fall away from the string, the damper is not allowed to fall back and damp the string until the key is released.
- The basic notes of Philip Glass's music are very few and usually surrounded by a haze of the overtones created by the damper pedal of the piano.
- The first sixty pages of this useful volume are devoted to the damper pedal, which Katherine Faricy rightly claims often is treated like a light switch: it is either on or off.
- Mechanically, the piano's capacities for expressiveness increased, through more powerful and even action, damper pedals, and a full seven octaves.
- Sometime try sitting at a piano, and hold down the damper pedal (the one on the right that makes it hold notes).
- The piano teacher gives all lessons on an early fortepiano that has a knee lever for operating the damper mechanism.
- When a pianist actually looks at the damper action while pedaling, or watches the hammers strike the string for only a split second, her body will shift to a more kinesthetic, intuitive and efficient mode.
- In arpeggios in Romantic music there is a successive playing of parts of a chord; they are usually played in order of ascending pitch and the highest note carries the melody, the tones are sustained by the use of the damper pedal.
- During performance, most students will need to stand while depressing the damper pedal to access the interior of the piano.
- Today I asked your child to depress the right pedal, to stop the action of the dampers so that the strings could vibrate freely.
- While not the best way to introduce damper pedaling techniques, four-voiced chorales are highly appropriate for reinforcing or testing established pedaling techniques.
2(of chimney)regulador de tiro masculine
- According to the latest standards, dampers must either be removed or permanently secured in the open position if gas logs are installed.
- Service openings must be provided in air ducts adjacent to each fire damper, smoke damper and smoke detector to accommodate inspection and operational tests.
- For example, on most bath fans and kitchen exhaust hoods, the damper is located on the housing of the fan unit, right at the point where the vent pipe attaches to the housing.
- Make sure your chimney damper is closed when not in use.
- When your home is warm enough, the thermostat causes the damper to close, and the fire burns at a reduced level.
- Check the seal on the flue damper and make it as snug as possible.
- When the fireplace is not in use, keep the flue damper tightly closed.
- They also should have electrically operated dampers to limit and control the amount of outside air entering the return side of the air handler.
- If you have an open fireplace, it's good to keep the damper open all the time, as it brings a good draft of air from outside into the house.
- Cycling fans and adjusting damper settings can cut fan motor loads and reduce exfiltration, potentially cutting uncontrolled exhaust of conditioned air.
- In winter, when the fireplace is not being used, keep the flue damper closed tightly.
- When you use your fireplace, you can reduce the stress on your heating system by opening dampers at the bottom of the firebox.
- Airflow into the base of the flue and out of the top is regulated by dampers controlled by the building management system, which also controls airflow from the building into the flue.
- Similarly, closing outdoor air dampers will reduce humidity levels but will also reduce the amount of outdoor air being brought into the building, potentially causing indoor air quality problems.
- These pressure transducers are connected with the dampers via a control unit which changes the position of the dampers in accordance with the airflow condition.
- The inspector noted officers were not able to demonstrate operation of radio equipment, engine room ventilation fire dampers were defective and the means of lifeboat recovery inoperative.
- Use a hinged damper weather hood to prevent backdraft and place it at least 12 inches off the ground.
- Closing outside air dampers or shutting off exhaust fans - either partially or completely - reduces heating and cooling loads caused by the intake of outside air.
- An open damper in a fireplace is the equivalent of having a 30-by - 6-inch hole in the roof, or about 180 square inches.
- An open damper in a 48-inch square fireplace can allow a heat loss of up to 8 percent through the chimney.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.