In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1dardosto play darts — jugar a los dardos
- The British aristocracy, on expatriate imperial postings to African countries, learn the classic pub game of darts.
- Some time during the 19th century the chalk and dartboard replaced the cribbage board as the standard method of scoring a game of darts.
- The evening consisted of three challenges, indoor bowling, darts and snooker.
- There was also a wide range of traditional sideshow attractions which included darts, hoopla and a coconut shy.
- I was the badminton champion and also excelled in darts, football and hockey.
- Young people aged from 11 to 18 will be able to enjoy pool, darts, television and computer games at the new club which will be based at the village hall.
- We put on suppers, card games, darts, seniors' activities, and dances, and also do weddings and receptions.
- The dominoes, darts, pool and football teams are all going to move with Phil to his new club, which is now called ‘The Stanley’ club.
- The English are also very fond of games, including snooker (a billiards game) and darts.
- There was a billiards table, air hockey, darts, a TV with a DVD player and a Playstation 2, and a hot tub.
- Continue playing games that involve numbers, counting and scoring, such as darts and dominoes.
- There were lots of stalls and games, including darts, skittles and a hoopla.
- It might as well be the proverbial tiddlywinks, or as so deliciously happened when one of our own swept up the world title at that most athletic of English indoor sports - darts.
- Visitors can choose to simply relax with a glass of beer, shoot some pool, or play a game of darts.
- PUB regulars who keep alive games of darts, dominoes and shove ha'penny could be rewarded with a trip to New York.
- Members had a May sports meeting with indoor bowls, darts, snooker and cards.
- The close-ups reveal jaws and eyes that move with all the precision of a drunken sailor attempting to score a bulls-eye in a game of darts.
- A game of darts will take place in The Wood Cabin every Thursday night until Christmas with a first prize of a turkey and a bottle of whiskey for the runner up.
- Later they were again brought to the laboratory, but this time they could choose between shooting baskets or trying to score bull's-eyes in darts.
- Sometimes we organise a games night, darts, table-tennis, cards that type of stuff.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.