In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of birth and death, of appointment, battle)fecha femininewhat date is she arriving (on)? — ¿en qué fecha llega?
- what's today's date? — ¿qué fecha es hoy?
- what's the date today? — ¿a qué fecha estamos?
- at a later date — más tarde
- closing date — fecha límite
- (of birth and death) what are his dates? — ¿en qué fechas nació y murió?
- to set / fix a date for sth — fijar la fecha para algo
- to date — hasta el momento
2formal(period of time)a coin of Roman date — una moneda de la época romana
- a friendship of recent date — una amistad reciente
3.1(appointment)cita feminineGreg has a date with Ana on Sunday — Greg sale con Ana el domingo
- she had a dinner date that evening — la habían invitado a cenar esa noche
- As one of the few supposedly smart restaurants in Oxford the chances are you'll be able to see someone you know, or know of, on a date.
- A few days after that Julie came up to me and told me she had gone on a date with him and that it was the most romantic night of her life.
- You just went on a date with one of the hottest guys on the planet.
- He asked her out on a date almost immediately and before long they were walking out together and going to regular dances at the Locarno.
- This can be as simple as inviting a boy to sit with you or as involved as straight-up asking him out on a date.
- I hear that you're going on a date with your hot step brother and we can discuss every little thing that happened.
- After a few stiff drinks I was beyond caring, I had already written the date off and she knew that I had, there was no sense in hiding it.
- Turner calls Fonda the day after her divorce from Hayden hits the newspapers to ask her out on a date.
- The Hollywood star is happy to say yes if a man invites her out for dinner but during her last visit to Britain only two plucked up the courage to ask her on a date, she said.
- He'd been patiently asking her periodically for a solo date, sans parents and siblings.
- Eighteen, nineteen years old girls who were going to wild camps and hooking up with boys who probably knew quite a bit about what they wanted on a date.
- It took a couple more chance meetings before he actually asked me on a date, but he did and that was 7 years ago.
- Tonight, I was watching part of a show where this couple were out on a date.
- But Mo did once go out on a date with someone who chatted her up in a pub - and she's been living with him for seven years.
- Over the next four weeks, we went out on periodic dates and he was adorably shy and kinda weird-looking but cute and I fell head over heels.
- I was in a conversation yesterday and dating came up, and I scratched my head trying to think of when, if at all, I had ever been on a date
- After one listen you'll be asking your sister out on a date.
- If they're not strangers, they may be somebody that a woman meets on a date.
- You may get tongue-tied on a date but luckily your body speaks for you (often more loudly and honestly).
- He is slapped by his favourite star when he asked her out on a date.
3.2US (person)he's my regular date — estoy saliendo con él
- Next we stopped to pick up Becky and her date Trevor, a tall nut-brown boy that was almost as cute as Mark.
- Chad had a girlfriend at the time, but his friend, Kristin, told him he could bring his girlfriend, along with any of his male friends, for whom she would find dates.
- Faith's thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of her date and his company.
- A gay friend of mine was turned away at the door because he and his date (a bi female) had gone in drag.
- The overpaid millionaires and their spouses, gay lovers, dates and/or mistresses, no longer even pretended to turn away.
- A popular student, he even attended the senior prom during his junior year as the date of a male senior.
- After she saw that she decided that she had wasted enough time on Quinn Thane and his various lovers and/or dates.
- They look like animals, and they all wanted to know, who was Pam's date?
- Except, her date was fairly tall, and had to bend over so she could put her hand on his shoulder.
- Also, should a single attendee with a date be split up or seated together?
- Smith suggests inviting a date to an event that has already been planned, like a work affair or a friend's party.
- She found it strange how all they had to worry about was who got a date with whom and where they were going on Friday night.
- ‘I make it my business to know with whom my dates associate,’ he said.
- I had only one rule when it came to guys: Potential dates HAD to be taller than me.
3.3(booking)he's playing three dates in London this month — va a actuar tres veces en Londres este mes
- Following a series of sell-out dates on tour during 2002 / 3, the stage adaptation of the film musical Calamity Jane is whip cracking its way into the West End.
- His current tour includes dates at big venues such as The Royal Philharmonic Liverpool and The Waterfront, Belfast.
- No, I'm off to see the fabulous Die So Fluid on their final date of their current tour.
- Although the core group exerts its influence mostly in the early stages of rehearsing a piece, the concertmaster has more influence as performance dates near.
- It is such a vital date in the musical calendar that artists from as far away as Galicia and Brittany time the release of new albums to coincide with it.
- ‘Mrs. Brown Rides Again’ has sold out several dates on a U.K. tour in March which includes Liverpool and Scotland.
- This is the opening date of a national tour that ends with two performances in the Helix on December 2 and 4.
- DJ / producer Laurent Garnier has cancelled three U.S. tour dates because of problems with renewing visa.
- The performance date is Tuesday, April 1,8 in St Peter and Paul's Church, Portlaoise.
- Pop-punk band Busted have had to add extra dates to their arena tour after it sold out almost a year in advance.
- Shane was given the all clear to go ahead with his tour which included two dates in Dublin's Olympia Theatre - midnight at the Olympia.
- The date for this theatrical debut is Dec 17, which the attentive amongst you may recall is the same day as St Patricks Day.
- The first set of dates on the tour sold out in a week, with 120,000 tickets being snapped up in total.
- Today he starts another round of live dates - this time performing Smile in its entirety.
- Kylie Minogue is splashing out on a lavish hotel suite during her London tour dates - despite living less than a mile away..
- With a string of sell-out dates for her Re-invention Tour, Madonna has shown the world once and for all that she is no longer a mere Material Girl.
- When it came time to book a few more western Canadian dates, it certainly made sense to approach the Yardbird Suite, a venue both jazz and discerning blues fans appreciate.
- He promoted Billy Connolly's first tour - 44 dates with an 18-piece big band which Spurway still manages.
- As a long-time admirer of Shed Seven's music, I was invited to spend the day with the York band on the final date of their sell-out tour.
2(mark with date)(letter/check) fecharthe letter was dated April 13 — la carta estaba fechada el 13 de Abril / tenía fecha del 13 de abril
3(give date to)(fossil/remains/pottery) datar(fossil/remains/pottery) determinar la antigüedad de
4informal(betray age)remembering that song really dates you — el que recuerdes esa canción demuestra tu edad
5USinformal(go out with)salir con informalwho's she dating now? — ¿con quién sale ahora?
1(originate in)datarit dates from the 14th century — data del siglo XIV
- his title dates back to the 14th century — los orígines de su título se remontan al siglo XIV
2(become old-fashioned)pasar de moda
3USinformal(go on dates)he/she started dating at 14 — empezó a noviar a los 14 años Latin America
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.