In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Ben helped Joe to his feet, then walked him to the davenport.
- The most commonly illustrated combinations of sofa and bed in the nineteenth century were the bed lounge, the bed couch, and the davenport sofa bed.
- The last major invention in sofa beds was the result of customers' requests of an upholsterer named Bernard Castro to produce a davenport sofa bed that looked and worked well.
- Lillian sighed and crossed the room to settle on an antique davenport, lifting her eyes to his with a thin smile.
- Henry scraped his supper plate into the garbage and then, when everything was put away, and it was all over for another month, sat down on the davenport and switched on the television.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.