In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine alumno externo
- In those days it was still a boarding school, though half were day boys from local neighbourhoods like myself.
- I shared my large room with Andy, a day boy, and so had the place to myself at night.
- Close friendships between boarders and day boys were rare; both factions preferred their own.
- News that a day boy was to spend the night at the school was on everyone's lips.
- On Sundays after the chapel service we were allowed to visit relatives or day boys who were friends.
- He himself had attended the school and recalled that there were 82 pupils there at the time, all boarders except one day boy, and one lay teacher.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.