In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(business methods)the company has a reputation for honest/shady dealing — la empresa tiene fama de honradez en los negocios/de hacer negocios turbios
1.2(contacts, relations)relacionestrato masculinehis dealings with the press — sus relaciones / su trato con la prensa
- I've never had dealings with her — nunca he tratado con ella
- my dealings with him are purely professional — solo trato con él por razones de trabajo
- the company has dealings with the Far East — la compañía tiene negocios con el Lejano Oriente
- They have achieved that through sound business dealings and good management.
- As a consequence of their experience dealing with the private sector, the public is becoming accustomed to transparent transactions in their commercial dealings.
- I said that I'd always kept all my dealings and associations out in the open, and that I wouldn't do it, thank you.
- I think one thing about it is just that day to day, in my dealings with people, my mother raised me right, so I try to be polite.
- We're certainly looking into real estate transactions and business dealings.
- She too was upset at city council for backroom dealings.
- I'm finding that I'm starting to incorporate honesty a bit more often into my dealings with people lately.
- The strange thing is I hardly know the fellow and have had no personal dealings with him.
- A senior figure from the business community likened his dealings with Mulvihill to those with Japanese businessmen.
- After bringing the railways to the city, he fell from grace over dodgy financial dealings.
- This focus on broader engagement is further emphasised when it comes to the organisation's dealings with the business community.
- He is a people person, as is demonstrated in his career, which meant constant dealings with people, and in his concern about the problems of people of all ages in New Zealand.
- He was very gracious in his dealings with people.
- Does that also make me less open in my dealings with my fellow man?
- Whatever your feelings about his illegal dealings with an Indian bookmaker, he was a real leader of men.
- As a result, the firm will need to have very scrupulous business practices in its dealings with those to whom it sells its services.
- In fact, stereotypical thinking plays a more powerful role in our dealings with people from other cultures than we care to admit.
- Soros professes his allegiance to two masters: maximizing private profit in his market dealings and the public good in his philanthropy.
- They emphasised that volunteers must be non-judgmental in their dealings with people and non-directive in their counselling.
- He knew them from previous dealings on behalf of the company of which he had been a director.
- Tang has asked the public to put up with a jittery stock market while his government cracks down on illicit dealings among politicians and businessmen.
- A kind, good natured and most conscientious gentleman, Jimmy was well qualified in his career and always brought the personal touch to his dealings with people.
- I have never had any financial dealings or any financial contact with him, " added Mr Lowry.
- Yet, he was most diplomatic in his dealings with people of other persuasions, always respecting their views and loyalties.
- There are millions who never resort to violence or abuse others, who never are dishonest, selfish or greedy in their business dealings.
- Pleasant and affable in his dealings with people, he commanded great regard throughout the community.
- Now this is, by all outward appearances, an adult, grown woman who seemed to have her faculties about her and could engage in reasonable dealings in the business world.
- All sides were bound by shady dealings in drugs and weapons.
- ‘Confidence in the system starts with people's everyday dealings with the police,’ Wallace rightly points out.
- A man of many noble qualities, Frank was always conscientious in his dealings with people.
- The probe appears to center on his dealings with several businesses in his district, including one that reportedly paid off some of his credit card bills
- But I know from everyday dealings with people dealing with difficult moral situations that the subtlety or complexity of the issues they face can be almost overwhelming.
- Neither had been unduly concerned about the initial probe into foreign exchange dealings at the bank.
- A hundred years ago Bradford's beautiful Wool Exchange resounded with dealings of bowler-hatted haggling merchants.
- He was a thoroughly ethical person in all his dealings, personal and political.
- My only direct dealing with the intelligence services was as a Minister of the Crown involved in a citizenship case.
- The service provided guarantees complete confidentiality in all dealings and contacts with victims and all services are provided free of charge.
- The original draft called for associates to refrain from ‘all social intercourse and dealings with disloyal persons’.
- So it is little surprise that teachers feel this collapse of their authority in their dealings with young people.
- Settlements and compromises in business dealings are made through mediation and discussion.
- But criminal laws already exist which prohibit such racist harassment, along with the drug dealing and violence the government says it wants to stamp out.
- The late Mr. Carroll was a farmer by occupation and was involved in the cattle dealing business in his younger days.
- In 1995 angry shareholders wrote to the department demanding an inquiry amid allegations of improper share dealings by the controlling director of the company.
- Police will also have the power to charge owners or managers allowing the dealing of drugs.
- Three were imprisoned for robbery, one for theft and one for drug dealing.
- Mrs Wood said 50 of the tablets in his house belonged to a friend and that all his drug dealing had been to ‘friends and acquaintances’.
- Drug dealing was perceived to be the biggest problem by around 10 per cent of both groups who completed the questionnaire.
- Drug dealing is not simply a business transaction: it exploits people.
- He denied using false names or addresses in his car dealings.
- He used Rease as one of a number of ‘foot soldiers’ to front lucrative crack dealing businesses in the city.
- However, defence witnesses have claimed that the state of the negotiations at the time of the share dealing was so uncertain as to make any knowledge non-price sensitive.
- Share dealing can be accomplished with just a couple of clicks of the mouse or even down the telephone line.
- Alien smugglers are also often involved in murder and drug dealings, so local officials believe their efforts will have a multiplier effect on other crime.
- An investor tracking the directors' share dealings would have made substantial gains and significantly outperformed the market.
- Most Americans will not give two hoots that share dealings start in New York today, and who can blame them?
- That same day the Department of Trade and Industry announced it was to re-open its inquiry into his share dealings.
- There are few issues more contentious than directors' share dealings.
- Share dealing is supposed to be people risking their money in order to gain high profits.
- Most of them relate to the failure of directors to notify dealings in shares within the prescribed period, which is five days.
- Regrettably, no shareholder asked any questions about the substantial director share dealings that have taken place in recent months.
2.2British (on stock exchange)transaccionesdealing was /dealings were suspended in the company's shares — se suspendió la cotización en bolsa de la compañía
- in heavy dealing — en medio de una fuerte actividad
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.