In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(as form of address)tesorocorazónwhat's the matter, dearie? — ¿qué te pasa, tesoro / mi vida?
- Sit yourself down, dearie, and tell me everything.
- Well, of course, dearie, it's only good manners to be ashamed of it; it's expected from a woman.
- ‘Oh, dearie, you look beautiful,’ I heard my mother tell me as I walked down the steps.
- It's comments like this that make me glad you exist, dearie.
- Come to the kitchen dearie, you need a warm bath.
- Would you appreciate a bit of assistance there, dearie?
- Are you going to cry in this movie - again - like you have in the past 79,000, dearie?
- ‘It's just your imagination, dearie,’ the nurse said compassionately.
- And all you have to do, dearie, is keep your mouth shut and do as your told.
- You're getting hungry now, aren't you, dearie?
- You need anything else, dearies, you don't hesitate to ask, all right?
- Hate to break it to you, dearie, but in case you haven't noticed, the power is out.
- ‘That's petrol dearie,’ added one of the older females.
- Don't get all jealous now dearie - we both know that you're the only one for him.
- ‘Well, dearies,’ she tells the three of us, ‘I'm off to bed.’
- Mrs. Bradbury sympathized and comforted her, saying, ‘One day he'll be back for you, dearie.’
- It was coming, I knew it was… ‘So, dearie, have you got a boyfriend yet?’
- She smiled at them and said; ‘Now dearies, this will be a nice and simple contest.’
- Here you go my dearies, it's the best I could do for now, but I promise you that dinner will make up for it a hundred times over.
- ‘Don't worry, dearie,’ one of them smiled, placing an old hand on his.
2dearie me! — ¡ay, por Dios!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.