In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(as form of address)tesorocorazónwhat's the matter, dearie? — ¿qué te pasa, tesoro / mi vida?
- Well, of course, dearie, it's only good manners to be ashamed of it; it's expected from a woman.
- Are you going to cry in this movie - again - like you have in the past 79,000, dearie?
- ‘Well, dearies,’ she tells the three of us, ‘I'm off to bed.’
- Hate to break it to you, dearie, but in case you haven't noticed, the power is out.
- Mrs. Bradbury sympathized and comforted her, saying, ‘One day he'll be back for you, dearie.’
- It's comments like this that make me glad you exist, dearie.
- ‘It's just your imagination, dearie,’ the nurse said compassionately.
- Would you appreciate a bit of assistance there, dearie?
- ‘That's petrol dearie,’ added one of the older females.
- ‘Don't worry, dearie,’ one of them smiled, placing an old hand on his.
- And all you have to do, dearie, is keep your mouth shut and do as your told.
- ‘Oh, dearie, you look beautiful,’ I heard my mother tell me as I walked down the steps.
- Sit yourself down, dearie, and tell me everything.
- You're getting hungry now, aren't you, dearie?
- Here you go my dearies, it's the best I could do for now, but I promise you that dinner will make up for it a hundred times over.
- Don't get all jealous now dearie - we both know that you're the only one for him.
- Come to the kitchen dearie, you need a warm bath.
- She smiled at them and said; ‘Now dearies, this will be a nice and simple contest.’
- You need anything else, dearies, you don't hesitate to ask, all right?
- It was coming, I knew it was… ‘So, dearie, have you got a boyfriend yet?’
2dearie me! — ¡ay, por Dios!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.