In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(end of life)muerte femininefallecimiento masculine formalto die a natural death — morir de muerte natural
- he died a peaceful death — tuvo una buena muerte / una muerte tranquila
- the fire caused several deaths — el incendio causó varios muertos / cobró varias víctimas
- the illness can result in death — la enfermedad puede ser mortal
- death by strangulation/drowning — muerte por estrangulación/inmersión
- they were united in death — la muerte los unió
- death to the traitor! — ¡muerte al traidor!
- he was sentenced to death/to death by hanging — lo condenaron a muerte/a morir en la horca
- he was stabbed/beaten to death — lo mataron a puñaladas/golpes
- to freeze/starve to death — morirse de frío/hambre
- to bleed to death — morir desangrado
- he drank himself to death — el alcohol acabó con él / lo mató
- as intensifier to death
- to be scared to death — estar muerto de miedo
- they're frightened to death of losing their jobs — tienen un miedo espantoso de perder el trabajo
- his mother spoiled him to death — la madre lo echó a perder con tanto mimo / lo malcrió de mala manera
- I'm worried to death — estoy preocupadísima
- as pale as death — blanco como un papel
- you look as pale as death — estás blanco como un papel
- to hang on like grim death — aferrarse con todas sus fuerzas
- to look like (grim) death — tener la cara desencajada
- Incidents of violent attacks that leave people dead or near death have increased in Australia recently.
- At present, we have the highest rate of premature death from heart disease in the EU.
- Jack closed his eyes tightly and longed for death, for surely he would be dead sooner or later.
- There are so many choices out there that don't require the suffering and death of animals.
- The other two photographs are closer, and shows many birds dead, some near death and very few still standing.
- There is no family history of sudden infant deaths and everything had seemed okay.
- The death knell may be about to sound for Yorkshire's last remaining pits.
- Especially in October and November, we often think of death and the dead.
- "Poor diet is the biggest cause of preventable death in this country.
- Drivers have borne the brunt of the blame for their part in our high road death toll.
- It is estimated that around one fifth of all deaths in the UK are attributed to smoking.
- Men who don't fear death are dead men because fearing death is part of life
- It is a sad fact that these deaths are now so commonplace that they rarely make the news.
- Requiem - a mass for the dead - explores the relationship between man and death.
- I think we have to do everything that is possible to reduce deaths and casualties on the roads.
- He has pleaded not guilty to four charges of causing death by dangerous driving.
- By the time the guards run in, minutes later, the occupants are all either dead or on the brink of death.
- So those people died a tragic, tragic sudden, unexpected death.
- If we cannot save or stop the death of animals, at least we should not kill them in a cruel way.
- The exhibition, which runs until September 7, is a showpiece of life and death in the animal world.
2(end)fin masculinethat was the death of my hopes/ambitions — eso acabó con mis esperanzas/ambiciones
- it's death to small businesses — para los negocios pequeños es la ruina
- The death of the American auto industry -- and the loss of hundreds of thousands of high-paying union jobs -- isn't necessarily a bad thing for the environment if it means more market share for more efficient Japanese vehicles.
- The Mighty Ed Driscoll has a terrific post on the death of the smart romantic comedy, inspired by a piece by A.O. Scott.
- Cinema's birth or rebirth is intimately linked to its death and the process of its mourning.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.