In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1número de víctimas (mortales) masculinenúmero de muertos masculine
- This figure will likely rise much higher as the death toll in Louisiana is counted.
- Thankfully, this time there was a smaller death toll, but in every other respect it was the grimmest of warnings.
- As we speak, the total death toll is still unclear, but it amounts to several thousands.
- Cross-border firing and separatist militancy have left a death toll running into tens of thousands.
- The death toll is certain to soar as the floods are pumped out and rescue workers enter houses that were filled with water.
- Authorities have yet to release an official death toll, and an authoritative figure may be weeks away.
- The death toll from obesity is expected to top that from smoking in the next 10 to 15 years.
- The death toll this month from the floods rose to 75 with nine more deaths reported.
- Police believe action must be taken now to stop the death toll rising further.
- But the scale of the death toll is something many of us have never seen before.
- Forty-two people from various nations were wounded but the death toll could rise.
- The death toll of people trapped by incoming tides on the night of February 5 now stands at 20.
- If it happens, the death toll could be many times that of the recent SARS epidemic.
- It is time every road user woke up to this appalling situation, and did all in their power to reduce the death toll.
- The death toll for U.S. forces so far this month is the lowest in more than a year.
- The two separate crashes bring the death toll on the county's roads this year to 85.
- Despite considerable investment and continued efforts to improve safety, the death toll is rising.
- It will campaign to raise awareness of liver disease and try to reduce the annual death toll of 7,500.
- Meanwhile the death toll amongst British holidaymakers has now reached the 200 mark.
- It was not immediately clear if the bombers were included in the death toll.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.