In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1debut masculineto make one's debut — hacer su (or mi etc.) debut
- she made her debut in society last year — fue presentada en sociedad el año pasado
- before noun her debut movie — la película en la que hizo su debut
- The film was directed by former camera operator Robert Day, making his debut in that capacity with some uncredited supervision from the more experienced Basil Dearden.
- Made in 2000, the film marks the debut of young Mexican director, Alejandro González Iñárritu.
- Howard didn't hurt his cause in his international debut, a solid performance in a 1-0 win over Ecuador in March.
- When Brando made his screen debut in the 1950 film The Men there had been nobody quite like him before on screen.
- Saint's role was her screen debut and merely resulted in a well-deserved Best Supporting Actress Award for her.
- She fell in love with the theatre when she was still a student at the Rousse Language School where her debut was in a performance of Pygmalion by Bernard Shaw.
- Driver Keen is out to impress on his BTCC debut after strong performances in international Formula 3000 and sportscars.
- Kevin Keegan is ready to give his latest youthful midfield discovery a starting role at Old Trafford after his spectacular debut.
- Twenty-nine-year-old Gardemeister delivered a highly mature performance on his competition debut in a Focus RS.
- He made his professional debut in the title role in the tour of ‘Joseph and his Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat’.
- He has already made both his TV and film debuts, but it is his superlative stage performances in the ‘Music Man’ that have catapulted him close to stardom status.
- Provided I can find a spare ten minutes to edit some of my poetry for a family audience, those in attendance will witness my debut as a performance poet.
- This month marks her cinematic debut in a leading role.
- A man-of-the-match performance on his debut - a 4-1 defeat of Aston Villa - was a perfect start.
- McDowell is riveting in his screen debut, and the film's social observation and build-up of tension is quite compelling.
- Two years earlier, Sophia had made her debut with a bit role in the Federico Fellini film, ‘Variety Lights’.
- Phillips's performances on her debut at the Burghley International three-day event last year were the highlight of her eventing career thus far.
- That she succeeds so well is impressive given that the role represents her film debut.
- Mos Def gives one of his strongest performances since his classic debut, Black on Both Sides.
- This film also marks the debut of screenwriter David Lewis, an award-winning editor with the San Francisco Chronicle.
intransitive verbdebuting, debuted, debuts
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.