In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Young Adam was written almost a decade earlier.
- After more than a decade at the helm it looks as if his endeavours may at last pay off.
- This volume of published material represents work carried out over a period spanning nearly three decades.
- Untangling this problem could take decades of research.
- Returning to Edinburgh last year after nearly two decades living and working in London, I went through the usual phase of seeing my country in new light, as an outsider.
- His remarkable acting career spanned six decades and scores of movies.
- The best model for New York is London, which has contracted out all of its bus services to the private sector every three years for nearly two decades.
- He spent the next three decades pursuing a wide range of activities, both professionally and as hobbies.
- The software industry is just a few decades old while construction is as old as civilization itself.
- The birth rate increased for the third consecutive year following nearly a decade of decline.
- The honour will also be conferred on John Shannon, who retired earlier this year after nearly four decades as chairman of York Civic Trust.
- It is not just that he has turned 50; it has more to do with the fact that he has been retired from test cricket for eight years, nearly a decade.
- Just a few of the signs: Impatient investors now hold onto stocks for only one year, on average, down from nearly two years a decade ago.
- The early decades of the conflict were characterised by a certain dignity and honour.
- The last serving member from the Battle of Long Tan is retiring from service this month after nearly four decades of military service.
- Amid the overturned cabinets, he saw decades ' worth of patient records scattered about.
- Activists feared attacks would only harm a population already devastated by two decades of war and famine.
- Life expectancy edged downward in the decades prior to the breakup of the Soviet Union.
- Awarded the CBE in 1994, Rosenthal was one of Britain's most prolific screenwriters in a career spanning more than three decades.
- The council decided on a plan of action at its first extraordinary meeting and emergency debate for nearly a decade last month.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.