In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A presentation was made to each by Co. John Bonham of a decanter and 6 brandy glasses on an inscribed tray.
- Glass bottles were used as decanters for carrying wine to table, but not for storage because they were too fragile.
- He filled three glasses with some sort of clear wine, set the decanter on the table and retreated to the corner.
- Pieces include square tealight holders, napkin holders, flared bud vases and a selection of glasses, decanters and candlesticks in varying sizes.
- Another butler brought out a silver tray laden with a crystal decanter and two wine glasses.
- I picked up a splendid pair of panel-cut Victorian decanters with original stoppers for £90-now, that has to be value for money.
- The firm, which moved to its new premises opposite Booths supermarket in August 1999, makes high quality tableware including glasses, decanters, jugs, vases and bowls.
- Of special interest to Irish collectors will be a number of silver wine labels and glass decanters by Irish makers.
- Thomas had already set out two crystal wine goblets and a wine decanter; before she could protest, he was presenting her with a dry white wine.
- If a buyer is found for the firm, which makes high-quality tableware including glasses, decanters and jugs as well as being the largest supplier of crystal to British embassies, it is hoped that all 21 employees will be reinstated.
- A long cupboard rested against the wall, the polished top displaying an array of coloured glass goblets, decanters, jugs and bowls of fruit and berries and nuts.
- All he showed them were the bedrooms, each complete with four-poster beds, an en-suite bathroom and a decanter of spirits.
- Then very carefully (so as not to agitate the sediment back up into the wine) pour the wine into a decanter, leaving the last inch behind.
- The couple picked up an armful of prizes, including a trip to Spain, a rose bowl, brandy glasses, and a decanter.
- He placed the glass on the tray with the wine decanter.
- A sale of the business, which sells high-quality tableware including glasses, decanters and jugs, was agreed on Monday and involves the firm's management, some workers and a mystery customer of the firm.
- On the cart, place a martini shaker, some martini glasses and shot glasses, a decanter, your favorite booze, and whatever else you would stock in your home bar.
- In the entrance hall of Finwood Lawn, his six-bedroom home near Warwick, 30 sparkling crystal decanters sit on glass shelves - a cleaner's nightmare.
- The new range for Lindley includes Martini glasses, decanters and ashtrays.
- Each room had decanters of wine and water as well as various other liquors.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.