In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(distinct)(advantage/preference/improvement) claro(preference/advantage/improvement) marcado
- Koenig feels it is a decided advantage, and Barnhart agrees and also has them on his gun.
- In addressing his players, Johnstone reminded them of their decided advantage.
- Ongerup have a decided advantage in the ruck with big Lance Hart.
- He is better prepared this time and has the decided advantage of having five years of work behind him.
- The tone of the choir was good and the attack clear, a decided improvement being noticeable by those who heard them give the same music five years ago.
- Behind all of this lies Hollywood's decided lack of interest in art
- Human growth hormone has some decided advantages and some very gross disadvantages.
- The new Mustang has disc brakes all round, a decided improvement on the original cars.
- She's very decided on what she thinks, more than I am.
- There has been a decided shift in public opinion.
- Mid-way through her answer, her neatly measured affability gives way to a decided prickliness.
- The unfolding credit market dislocation took a decided turn for the worst this week.
- While there are some very decided similarities, there are some very distinct differences as well.
- The density of the population figures by county shows a decided bias in favour of East Anglia.
- In his views, he was very decided.
- He was a superb organizer and administrator and a man with a decided preference for West Point-trained officers.
- What is clear is the art industry is making a decided shift into the online world.
- My dad puts a comforting hand on my mother's shoulder and gets up; a decided look on his face.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.