In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(distinct)(advantage/improvement/preference) claro(advantage/improvement/preference) marcado
- Ongerup have a decided advantage in the ruck with big Lance Hart.
- She's very decided on what she thinks, more than I am.
- He was a superb organizer and administrator and a man with a decided preference for West Point-trained officers.
- Koenig feels it is a decided advantage, and Barnhart agrees and also has them on his gun.
- Human growth hormone has some decided advantages and some very gross disadvantages.
- He is better prepared this time and has the decided advantage of having five years of work behind him.
- Behind all of this lies Hollywood's decided lack of interest in art
- In addressing his players, Johnstone reminded them of their decided advantage.
- My dad puts a comforting hand on my mother's shoulder and gets up; a decided look on his face.
- In his views, he was very decided.
- The unfolding credit market dislocation took a decided turn for the worst this week.
- What is clear is the art industry is making a decided shift into the online world.
- The new Mustang has disc brakes all round, a decided improvement on the original cars.
- Mid-way through her answer, her neatly measured affability gives way to a decided prickliness.
- The density of the population figures by county shows a decided bias in favour of East Anglia.
- The tone of the choir was good and the attack clear, a decided improvement being noticeable by those who heard them give the same music five years ago.
- There has been a decided shift in public opinion.
- While there are some very decided similarities, there are some very distinct differences as well.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.