In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In one study based on U.S. data, for example, people in the top decile of the income distribution averaged more than five points higher on a ten-point happiness scale than people in the bottom decile.
- Individuals who were in the lowest part of the income distribution for more than a decade face gasoline tax burdens nearly twice as high as the burden placed on the top decile of income.
- The bottom deciles all lost real income between 1982 and 1998.
- The annual income bias is especially high in the lowest annual income decile, equaling almost 10 percent of income.
- Between 1986 and 1998, the families in the bottom five deciles went backwards in terms of real income.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.