In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(number/notation/fraction) decimal(coinage/currency) decimalaccurate to three decimal places — exacto hasta la tercera cifra decimal
- In 1997, the rupiah was so devalued that they had to switch from the decimal system to base 20 to cut down on the zeroes used in everyday transactions.
- If you write pi down in decimal form, the numbers to the right of the never repeat in a pattern.
- For example, to test whether a number written in decimal digits is divisible by 2, you need check only whether the last digit is even.
- The book, which went on to be widely copied and imitated, introduced the Hindu-Arabic place-valued decimal system and the use of Arabic numerals into Europe.
- The LOG button on your calculator can be used to compute how long a number is, that is, how many decimal digits it has.
- This was the second issue of decimal coinage and the series continued during the reigns of King Rama VI, VII and VIII.
- In fact, the Government spent less money telling us all about decimal currency than we are now being given to sell this Budget.
- Change (in the case of decimal currency, to something far simpler for calculation) can be more worrying than staying with the complicated.
- Topics considered include addition and subtraction of decimal numbers followed by multiplication and division of decimal numbers.
- The only catch is that the formula works for hexadecimal or binary digits but not for decimal digits.
- In UK we managed to change to decimal currency with vastly less upset than predicted.
- Just as the British press found an elderly lady who thought that decimal coinage would not catch on in Skye when it was introduced in 1971, so too have reports flooded in of refuseniks who regard the euro as the work of the devil.
- The change is simple compared to shifts such as Britain's adoption of decimal currency in 1971, as there is no complex conversion to be done.
- None of these results are hard to prove today (try them!) with our understanding of the decimal representation of numbers.
- A trio of Indian mathematicians struggled to slot this symbol into their developing decimal number system.
- The metric system is a system of measurement of decimal units based on the meter.
- But the decimal currency is still with us, even if the half-pence is gone and the remaining coins are a little smaller.
- Like the introduction of decimal currency, the advent of the Euro was an opportunity no level-headed business man or woman would miss.
- However, rather than have to learn 10 symbols as we do to use our decimal numbers, the Babylonians only had to learn two symbols to produce their base 60 positional system.
- To keep the structure of the argument clearly in view Wittgenstein uses a system of decimal numbering.
- The advent of decimal arithmetic reduced the need for such tests.
- The Vedic mathematicians had developed the decimal system of tens, hundreds, thousands, etc. where the remainder from one column of numbers is carried over to the next.
- It's certainly not the notes and coins that bother me as we would be able to retain the monarchs head, as have Spain, Netherlands and Belgium, because it's no different in those terms from when we converted to decimal currency.
- Coins from the earliest days of Australian settlement to modern decimal currency are displayed.
- We work our numbers in a decimal system because we have ten fingers.
- However, the bank is also making preparations to take in as many of the 2.5 billion coins they have minted since the introduction of decimal currency in 1971.
- The discovery of the binomial theorem for integer exponents by al-Karaji was a major factor in the development of numerical analysis based on the decimal system.
- Even if your business cannot join the general changeover to decimal money for a while after Decimal Day - February 15-you still need to prepare now for the introduction of decimal currency.
- At the time when New Zealand changed to decimal currency in the 1960s, one pound was equal to two dollars.
- One of his last banking functions was to initiate the change to decimal currency.
- One of my more distinct recollections of math class involves the decimal representation of rational numbers and the discovery of wonderful patterns among those digits.
- The number system which was used to express this numerical information was based on the decimal system and was both additive and multiplicative in nature.
- One significant idea which appears in the text concerns representation of numbers in the decimal notation.
- The uniformity of administrative structures was reflected, later, in the imposition of a national, decimal system of weights, measures, and currency.
- If you wonder why we have not included the number in decimal form, then let me say that it contains about 150 times as many characters as this whole article on perfect numbers.
- In each case, the single numbers, 0 and 1, are used to represent the usual numbers in our decimal system and our normal alphabet.
- Elaborated between 1790 and 1799, the decimal metric system of weights and measures was zealously promoted under Napoleon.
- Malta's decimal currency has the lira as its basic unit and one lira is equivalent to 100 cents.
- If you know the binary number system, then you understand that it is a place-value system like ordinary decimal numbers.
- I remember - back in 1970-71-the huge level of opposition to changing our money to a decimal currency.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.