In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A University of Sydney researcher is claiming up to a third of our snake species could be decimated.
- A lot of the bird species here, particularly the migratory waders, have been decimated.
- A huge Scots army was decimated, thousands killed, enslaved, or exiled.
- Those groups are the remnants of populations that were decimated by whalers and other seafarers who killed the creatures for food.
- Fields are still small, there are no huge modern sheds and the pastures are rich in species that would otherwise have been decimated by modern farming methods.
- The fishing fleet may have been decimated, and the pits and shipyards may have been replaced by air-conditioned call centres, but Britain's industrial heritage lives on in song.
- Yet both dam projects would decimate the very scrubland the lynx depends on.
- Trees are hard to kill, but their populations can be decimated by the same types of parasitic or bacterial plagues that can destroy human populations.
- Extensive wetlands in Sonora have been decimated by irrigated agriculture and urbanization.
- The plague decimated the working population of Europe, and this left large tracts of land vacant.
- Of course, if a walker happened to stumble on the nest of one of the few remaining pairs of a species which has been decimated by farming practices, damage could result.
- Thousands of bee swarms in the central Eastern Cape have been decimated by a deadly blood-sucking Asian mite which destroys the male drone bees and damages female worker bees.
- Native clam populations in the Great Lakes have been decimated, and other species that compete for food with the mussels are in sharp decline.
- At the same time some of the native species that were decimated by the Nile Perch, or were even thought extinct, were coming back.
- The big fleet in Thailand was decimated in a fire at the Royal Varuna Club several years ago, though there are still a few ‘vintage’ boats at Varuna.
- Scotland's fishing fleet has been decimated and the rest of us were as powerless as the Scottish Minister for Fishing.
- Encroachment by farmers and livestock was already decimating the park's wildlife.
- Populations of these invertebrates have been decimated or even eradicated in areas where wasps are common.
- The idea grew out of an effort to save highly endangered Micronesian kingfishers in Guam, where many bird species had been decimated by a brown snake invasion.
- Prior to 1990 the species had been decimated by a combination of habitat loss and capture of birds for the pet trade, and was considered extinct in the wild.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.