In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(house/room) (with paint) pintar(room/house) (with wallpaper) empapelar
- Two teams of employees from Magnet were given just two days each to help fit a new kitchen and decorate the common room at the Robert Ogden School at Thurnscoe, near Barnsley.
- And just tell me when I will find the time to paint and decorate the house.
- Adjoining the Music room gallery is a spectacularly decorated Music Room.
- We suspect it was one of the last rooms decorated by the previous owners as they readied the house for sale.
- So far they have only managed to decorate one-and-a-half rooms of the 21-room house they bought overlooking Kelvingrove Park last year.
- I helped decorate a few rooms in my ex-girlfriends' house.
- She has sensitive skin and felt a reaction to the white spirit she was using to clean paint brushes while decorating her home last October.
- How can I paint or decorate her room to give it some color?
- Geoffrey Taylor's father was an artist who designed and decorated the public rooms in ocean liners.
- The group are decorating a room in the building and cleaning up the surrounding outdoor area.
- During the visit, volunteers from the ship went ashore in North Belfast and spent a day painting and decorating a newly-refurbished church hall.
- The middle room is decorated with flowered wallpaper and has a high ceiling.
- The hotel room was decorated with pale yellow wallpaper and white painted wooden decoration.
- I suppose I'll have to get down to the boring things like having this place painted and decorated and any building work done.
- Darbar is not decorated with flocked wallpaper, nor is the floor padded with a swirly-patterned burgundy carpet.
- Kimmi dragged her stuff into a room that what was decorated with floral wallpaper.
- Nutgrove Park is decorated in warm colours and has a number of attractive features.
- She said the nominations received to date were very worthy ones, including a man who helped out at a local school, working with the children as well as decorating the building.
- Both of these rooms have been decorated with floral wallpaper and have ornate ceiling coving.
- When you think about decorating a room at home, do you reach for the paint pot and brush, or hanker after a stylish roll of wallpaper?
1.2(hat/Christmas tree) adornar(hat/Christmas tree) decorar Latin America(cake) decorar
- This will be a festive occasion and it is hoped that the people of the town will decorate their windows and put out flowers and other symbols of welcome.
- They decorate the tree with lights and ornaments and then they place gifts under it.
- In the evenings, the place wears a festive look, with colourful lights decorating the trees, and the entire front wall of the building.
- The exposed side was decorated with a very beautiful scene showing the Pharaoh in front of the god Amun.
- Matched pairs of smaller tables and ornaments decorate each side, the objects on the left referring to the New Testament, and, to the right, the Old Testament.
- Well, the marble floors were white, and he had those silver ornaments, which decorated every inch of the apartment.
- Steven's eyes scanned the room immediately for people they knew, while Donnie starred amazed at the lights and tinsel decorating the flat.
- That's why we decided this year to really go to town and decorate the front of the house just to make it more memorable for her.
- Another attractive alternative is to decorate short lengths of board with old tiles.
- She walked up the stairs and to the beautifully decorated tree in the parlor.
- These chests were beautifully decorated, at first mainly made of wood, with iron hinges, locks and strappings.
- It was made out of exquisite gold, sculptures and ornaments decorating it.
- The girls decorated them beautifully and when dried they can be used as candle holders.
- Children decorated the tree with lights, baubles, tinsels, snow and pretend gifts yesterday.
- The Hilton lobby was decorated beautifully with a huge Christmas tree, Santas and a balloon snowman.
- Now what you need from these fairs at this time of year are the traditional ornaments to decorate your house for the New Year.
- The tables were elaborately decorated with beautiful flower arrangements.
- Stars hung from the ceiling interwoven with fairy lights and glitter decorated every surface.
- They were decorated beautifully and lit up with different coloured globes and different ribbons.
- ‘I wanted my husband to plant a big spruce so that at Christmas I could decorate it with lights,’ she says.
2(award medal to)condecorarto decorate sb for sth — condecorar a algn por algo
- The film ends as Leia dressed in an elaborate dress with a plunging neckline decorates Han Solo and Luke with medals.
- He was decorated with many medals, and he had all his weapons with him as well.
- He was decorated with the Croix de Guerre and the bronze star medal from the USA.
- It was claimed by later writers on Plato's life that he was decorated for bravery in battle during this period of his life.
- He is a fine athlete and a Vietnam combat veteran who was decorated for bravery.
- He was wounded and decorated for bravery in a vicious battle five days after the landings.
- Wirth served in World War One on the Western Front where he was decorated for bravery.
- After the war Popov was decorated and awarded British citizenship.
- He was injured during both of the battles at El Alamein and he was never decorated for bravery in continuing to carry out his job.
- The students were told to defend Paris and Léger was decorated for his bravery defending the capital.
1(paint) pintar(hang wallpaper) empapelar
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.