In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Wounded fourteen times, he was awarded the highest imperial decorations.
- John Bradley won the decoration for heroism on Iwo Jima, just two days before the flag raising.
- Hideo succeeded and was awarded the decoration and an annuity for carrying out his duty so well.
- These are decorations awarded by the monarch only to female members of the Royal Family.
- The significant decorations are the Star, a garter to be worn below the left knee, and a diagonal blue ribbon.
- The medal is the highest decoration the British military gives.
- That pin is a Dutch decoration called an Orange-Nassau - Officer of Orange-Nassau awarded to me by Queen Juliana.
- My captain vowed to win the Victoria Cross, our highest decoration for bravery, and drove the ship's company to help him.
- Former Scouts, invited to join in, were asked to wear any Great War medals and decorations they might have.
- Numerous decorations were awarded to members of the Eagle squadrons.
- The veterans were awarded an Active Service Medal, a decoration pinned to the chest of servicemen involved in conflict.
- Brown, the youngest person to be awarded the decoration, died in 1945 saving his brothers and sisters from a house fire.
- He is the recipient of numerous U.S. military awards and decorations, including the Purple Heart.
- He was awarded the decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service.
- He was awarded the Reserve decoration in 1983, and achieved a bar to this award in 1993.
- This appeared to have ended in victory last month when the government announced a special decoration would finally be awarded.
- President Chen Shui-bian was awarded a decoration by President Miguel Rodriguez in the Costa Rican National Theater yesterday.
1.1(act, process)decoración feminine
- Too often, at this stage of the project, it's easy to become tired and to end up rushing through the interior design and decoration process.
- Martine Camillieri, who co-directs the gallery, is also very talented with crafts and decoration.
- Other methods of decoration include impressions made with the fingers, sticks, and other tools.
- Since it was introduced it has gradually overtaken other forms of decoration so that now it forms the main decorative process in most large glass factories.
- The 175 studio ceramic pieces illustrate the various methods of decoration and form that potters use to give shape and meaning to their works.
- However, the construction and decoration process has been delayed, and a new opening date has not yet been disclosed.
1.2(ornamentation)decoración femininefor decoration — de adorno
- the soap isn't there for decoration, you know! — el jabón no está allí de adorno ¿eh?
- The only decoration was on the grip of wood, deeply and skilfully carved.
- He made the Memorial timeless, in a way, by giving it immaculate perfection with no embellishment or decoration.
- Pope John Paul's coffin of blonde cypress wood had no decoration other than a slender cross and the letter M for Mary on the top.
- The leonine head has a grimacing, tooth-filled mouth from which issue stems with pellet decoration ending in foliage scrolls.
- Every piece of furniture was made of old wood, free from decoration of any sort.
- I did not bother to look at the beautiful details and decoration, I was so angry and on the verge of tears.
- The timber framed doorcases have unusual strapwork decoration and pretty teardrop style fanlights above.
- The only decoration is a picture window that frames the bordering pastures.
- The frames of Swedish rococo looking glasses followed the fashions of the day, with the crown and base often ornamented with rich rocaille decoration.
- The reverse of the vessel bears brushed cobalt blue floral decoration at the shoulder and a continuation of the flowers that appear on the front.
- However, these vast Roman vistas are processed through the Rococo penchant for grandiose ornamentation and are window dressing, pure decoration.
- All have applied ornament as well as etched or engraved decoration on a spot-hammered ground.
- Standard Royal Worcester with floral decoration and Victorian dinner services are struggling to find buyers.
- All contain decoration, embellishments, fringing, or cut-out design-work of the paper.
- In Spain there, they were very famous for not using stone or brick, they would do everything in wood with adornment and decoration.
- Gilding may also be ornamented by various types of relief decoration.
- Punches and coggles were used to apply bands of decoration such as circles, stars, floral emblems, and other motifs.
- Each spoon in the set has different applied ornament and etched decoration on a hammered ground.
- Economically priced, they make up in lack of detail and decoration with their quirkiness.
- The manuscript is also rich in ornamental decoration, to which those of the other exemplars are stylistically related.
- At the window of her neat Balby home twinkles a Christmas tree while other festive decorations adorn the living room.
- One of their noticeable features is the profusion of hollowed-out window decorations.
- At the back is a magnificent selection of Christmas trees and decorations.
- This year she will be making floral arrangements, which will serve as place settings and decorations.
- Surely it would not take much to put a few lights along the shops or decorations in the windows to create an ambience?
- We'll go and get a couple of new ones later in the week, along with some hangers so we can put the rest of the decorations on the tree.
- The church is now getting decorations in place, with the tree decorated in blue and silver this year.
- Although tinsel is very pretty and is a common decoration on trees, your pet may swallow it.
- At the moment, shops have decorations in every window, and the neighbours are planning a cookout.
- We would like to thank the children for making the decorations for the tree themselves.
- The community centre looked its best for the party with its Christmas tree and Christmas decorations.
- Fill large goldfish-type bowls with shiny glass globes and ornaments to create simple decorations.
- I've collected my tree decorations over many years and each holds a treasured memory.
- Today, the roundabouts are festooned with decorations and blue and yellow lights.
- I sat up all night, then I took down all the Christmas cards and the decorations of the Christmas tree.
- Every bedroom has its own Christmas tree and festoons of decorations.
- Dad travelled lots with his work, promising to bring back a tree decoration from every country he had visited.
- The students will also dress in fancy dress as well as dressing up the animals using Christmas decorations such as tinsel and lights.
- Already I have spotted the first Hallowe'en decorations in store windows.
- Special shops have come up to sell tree lights, decorations and optic wreaths in the city.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.