In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(ornamental)(frill/border) decorativo(border/frill) ornamental(frill/border) de adorno
- And because fruit trees and bushes can be beautiful and decorative, you don't have to set aside part of your garden as a growing area.
- The company has a service center for applying studs, stones and decorative ornamentation in Mexico.
- The well maintained communal gardens that surround this scheme include a number of water and decorative features.
- Occasionally it was used as a decorative feature on American furniture with solid drawer fronts.
- Pour dip into a decorative serving bowl and place on serving platter.
- It is incorrect, however, to use the phrase to indicate the purely decorative or ornamental qualities of a painting.
- Even today, the huge stones from 19th century are still sought as decorative garden ornaments.
- It will feature decorative landscapes and cuisine from a variety of Southeast Asian countries.
- Second, their masses of small white, bell like blossoms are as decorative as any purely ornamental shrub.
- Buttons ceased to be purely decorative and began to feature regimental designs.
- The decorative glass panels feature figures such as St Gregory, St Jeronimus, an unknown Bishop and an unidentified Saint.
- It is decorative as well as fruitful and will make an attractive feature on any patio.
- The ornaments in this work are not simply decorative, but generative.
- The furniture all contributes to this as well, with its trim lines and lack of heavy decorative ornament.
- The same is true of Lewis's imagery, It is decorative, pleasing and attractive.
- A small 1970s television sits in one corner - seemingly more of a decorative feature than anything else.
- It is painted in yellow and period features include decorative coving, a centre rose and a cast-iron fireplace.
- A significant feature is that decorative timberwork hides the simple beam construction and the use of steel for the beams.
- Infinity pools (where the edges overflow with water) blur the boundary between swimming pool and decorative water feature.
- There are two bedrooms, the largest of which features high ceilings and decorative coving, while the bathroom has a wooden floor.
2Artthe decorative arts — las artes decorativas
- Sandstone is now extracted in limited quantities for decorative and artistic purposes rather than for construction.
- Artist Chris Topp has helped fix the decorative cross he created to the front of Archbishop Holgate's School in York.
- One Irish artist reaping the benefits of our rekindled love affair with decorative excess is Clodagh Hendy.
- By then he had been taught the elements of design by his father, a jobbing decorative artist.
- There is too much of everything, as the artist further patterns the paintings with decorative details.
- After training as a decorative artist he worked successfully at Drury Lane, London, as a scene painter.
- Olenin was especially interested in the drawings as models for artists, and they were soon to bear decorative fruit.
- Born in Glasgow, Cottier was the pioneer of Scotland's original tradition of artistic and decorative interiors.
- Individuals and small artistic teams are rapidly coming up with new decorative finishes.
- Works by relatively unknown artists should be collected now for their decorative value only.
- Today, she works full-time as a decorative artist and has recently moved to Tadcaster, where she runs her business.
- He sat me down and produced a packet of colour transparencies of the work of someone I had never heard of, a decorative artist named Felix Kelly.
- Angelopoulos and Drew were both easel and mural artists who were familiar with different kinds of decorative finishes.
3Buildingthe house is in good decorative order — el interior de la casa está en buen estado
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.