In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in quantity)(amount/numbers/output) disminuir(output/numbers/amount) decrecer(prices) bajar(speed) disminuir
- Another reason why large towns and cities are generally warmer is due to decreased amounts of evaporation.
- Calculations carried out by the team suggest bust and hip size have decreased while waist size has expanded.
- Of course, students are still borrowing, but my advice has been that the average amount is decreasing.
- There has even been a two per cent decrease in the number of cars torched.
- The tropopause can be defined as the place where the temperature stops decreasing with height and becomes constant.
- Russian security unilateralism would decrease; consultation would increase.
- While employment figures continue to fall, their rate of decline has decreased.
- Children from existing neighbourhoods will be affected by this catchment area decreasing.
- In a few years when the amount of smokers has decreased - that is when we should ban smoking in public places.
- Therefore, the wear rate of rhino teeth, in terms of crown height, may decrease exponentially with age.
- When fertility decreased, the garden would be abandoned and a new patch of land burnt for use.
- The longest wavelengths are in the red area, decreasing through yellow, green, blue, to violet.
- The leaping activity is higher in infested compared to non-infested fish, and is decreasing with size.
- We have seen an eighty per cent decrease in the number of firework injuries in the past two years.
- By the time the job was done, the bedroom had decreased in area by four square metres.
- The rashes decrease when the temperature subsides, but during the recurrence of fever, they reappear in a virulent form.
- Industry decreased and the area was not as good farming country as some once thought.
- Its height was decreased by about 6 metres and only one clock was left on the front of the building.
- Due to the farm crisis production in the rural areas has decreased by 25 percent.
2(in degree, intensity)(quality) disminuir(quality) bajar(effectiveness/power) disminuir(effectiveness/power) decrecer(interest) disminuir(interest) decaer
1disminuirreducirwe must decrease our spending on armaments — debemos disminuir / reducir los gastos de armamento
1disminución femininedescenso masculine
- The increasing occurrences of drought and an overall decrease in absolute rainfall promoted drier climates.
- Attacks resulted in a marked decrease in growth rate and massive damage from which the tree never fully recovered.
- There has been a big decrease in unemployment over the past year, with a drop of 583 since October 1999.
- This in its turn will lead to a decrease in the rate of economic growth, stagnation and shrinking of markets.
- The decrease in information mail has fallen off dramatically, to be replaced with a corresponding increase in junk mail.
- Perhaps the greatest societal benefit will be a decrease in the divorce rate.
- This study is so far too short-term to conclude whether this will in fact cause a decrease in mortality rates from cancer.
- Interest rates on banking credits are expected to fall with the decrease in the basic interest rate.
- The decrease in quarterly rate from 1992 onwards was seen consistently across the regions.
- The total amount of money sent home dropped along with a decrease in the number of migrant workers.
- As for the decrease in deaths, a marked reduction in AIDS-related mortality has been observed in recent years.
- A slowdown in the birth rate has led to a dramatic decrease in the number of younger people in the workforce.
- There is a general decrease in rainfall and an increase in the range of temperatures experienced as one moves away from the coast.
- In the last few decades all these countries estimated a decrease in their birth rate, but they also registered stabilization.
- The capital encountered severe drought this year due to a sharp decrease in rainfall.
- One in three of those polled said that a decrease in interest rates would result in a substantial increase in the number of people who would seek a bank loan.
- This reduction in mortality was almost entirely due to a decrease in deaths due to accidental overdose.
- Then came the economic downturn and a sharp decrease in the numbers venturing onto the slopes.
- After all, a shrinking readership does not always imply a decrease in stature.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.