In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(devote)to dedicate sth to sth/ -ing — dedicar algo a algo/+ inf
- she dedicated her life to the service of / to serving her country — dedicó / consagró su vida al servicio de su país / a servir a su país
- I met many people who dedicated much of their efforts to assist in the planning of the anti-hate demonstration.
- The ceremony was a very simple and moving commemoration of a life totally dedicated to aikido.
- For the moment, however, she says the group are purely dedicating their efforts to putting together a solid outline proposal for the area, before they begin their investigations for funding.
- She is now dedicating most of her time and attention to the completion of her fist novel.
- Choose your course wisely and dedicate yourself to that purpose.
- The people who are dedicated to these efforts understand the power of the social economy.
- Mr Kolar quit his job to dedicate himself to a task he says has been almost 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- I was hired to turn the company around, and my team has dedicated itself to that effort ever since.
- He has also selflessly dedicated his efforts to leading and developing his staff.
- And this St Paul's squad has to be commended with the way they dedicated themselves to the task.
- It would be good for more effort to be dedicated to training to help build capacities of the nations in managing fauna and flora species.
- Since last October, the students have been dedicating themselves to the task of mounting the enduringly popular Guys and Dolls.
- He cannot dedicate himself to larger purposes.
- Despite his acclaim, he finds writing to be a saviour of sorts and always manages to find the time to dedicate himself to the creative task, no matter how busy his day.
- Shenandoah founded Round Dance Productions, a nonprofit organization dedicated to native cultural preservation.
- Plantlife is Britain's only national membership charity dedicated exclusively to conserving wild plants and their habitats.
- Let us dedicate our best efforts in organizing our coming World Congress of Boxing Doctors, which will be the second in history.
- A reporter who dedicates special effort to establishing good contacts often ends up using them to coax ads from press chiefs.
- Sorley's depiction of how General Abrams dedicated himself to this task is compelling.
- Although he dedicated most of his time to the TV business, Sawhney never neglected his musical dream.
1.2(address as mark of respect)(book/poem) dedicarto dedicate sth to sb — dedicarle algo a algn
- I'd like to dedicate this song to my mother — quisiera dedicar(le) esta canción a mi madre
- The book is dedicated to the author's parents for teaching him to care.
- Her first book was dedicated to Christopher, but this latest work is for Nick and Billy - younger sons of Sarah and her husband, David.
- All the poems in the book are dedicated to his memory.
- The book is dedicated to my mother so it could hardly reflect that.
- Of these, Arthur Crook is May's personal favorite (the book is dedicated to him), the editor he wrote for and for a short time worked under.
- The book is dedicated to his memory and pays a warm tribute to his intellectual legacy.
- The book is dedicated to the memory of Maura Burns of Ferrybank who recently passed away.
- The book is dedicated to those who lost their lives at sea in the Second World War.
- So my book is dedicated to Craig and to all those who are serving in the Armed Forces today.
- Finally, this book is dedicated to my German translator and to my Italian translators, all good friends and precise readers.
- At least a third of the book is dedicated to memories of his dad.
- This work is dedicated to the memory of Professor Don C. Wiley.
- The work is dedicated to Suleiman, teacher and Master of Fula Flute, a wind instrument from The Gambia.
- The book is also dedicated to Mrs Wing in the opening pages.
- Once he got out, they went on a family holiday together, and his book is dedicated to her and their children.
- The book is dedicated to his best friend Bill Cadman who died in the Lockerbie bombing in 1988.
- The book is dedicated to Kostova's father, a recently retired professor of urban planning, who first told her some of the stories she relates.
- The book is dedicated to Anna Friedman and Nasir Din, the author's Jewish mother and Muslim father, who married in London in 1942, both immigrants, but British subjects.
- I was at school with him and the second book is dedicated to Sean.
- This work is dedicated to the memory of Dollie Stover, who devoted 18 field seasons to the study of these warblers.
- In July 1999, Core Locations' first colocation facility was dedicated by Mayor Richard M. Daley in Chicago.
- As is evident from its name, the temple was dedicated to Shiva.
- This decision to sell the temple was not publicly made known until the building was finally completed and formally dedicated on 1 May 1846.
- After the Knox Academy was formally dedicated, Lermond actively continued to solicit donations of natural history specimens for it.
- The LA station dedicated by Schwarzenegger last month is intended for public use within five to ten years.
- The busiest is Kuan Yin Ten Temple, near St George's Church, which is dedicated to the goddess of mercy.
- The Temple of Angkor Wat is dedicated to the Hindu god Viu.
- St George was initially promoted to patron saint in 1061 when a church in Doncaster was dedicated to him.
- The church was dedicated to St Anthony of Egypt, patron saint of swineherds and of charcoal burners, a trade carried out on the fell for many years in the past.
- This summer they will dedicate the reclaimed open space as the 4,700-acre Orange County Great Park.
- Bill Clinton's presidential library won't be formally dedicated until tomorrow, but we've already been inside.
- The Rev Michael Flight, chairman of governors, dedicated the new building.
- The Marthoma Metropolitan, Philipose Mar Chrysostom, will dedicate the building at a function at the Boys Home at 4 p.m.
- Hampton's new 36,000-square-foot facility was formally dedicated on Sept.23.
- Sunday last being the Feast of the Holy Trinity was a special significance to the parish as our church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
- In 1396, the still unfinished church was dedicated to St Hippolyte.
- A new school building was dedicated in February 1950 and was named Georgia Washington School.
- There was one church in Yarmouth, St. Nicholas's Church, which was dedicated to St. Benedict.
- The church was previously known as All Saints, being dedicated to St Giles only since 1960.
- I recall visiting Calvin's church in Geneva, a twelfth-century Romanesque building dedicated to Saint Peter.
- Construction started in 1784, and the unfinished building was dedicated in 1788.
- When all was ready, Bishop Dominic Conway came again May 13, 1973 to open and dedicate the new Holy Cross.
- St Joseph's was opened and dedicated by the then Bishop of Elphin, Dominic Conway, on October 30, 1983.
- Three of the other churches are dedicated to St. Gregory, who brought Christianity to Armenia at the beginning of the fourth century.
- A new building was erected and dedicated on October 30, 1842.
- The Allen Ginsberg Library was dedicated in 1993.
- Aarhus Cathedral is dedicated to St. Clement, the patron saint of sailors.
- In England, many churches were dedicated to her, most notably St. Bride's Church in London's Fleet Street.
- Prosperous companies erected their own guildhalls and endowed churches dedicated to the patron saint of their crafts, with chapels for their use.
- Her local church is dedicated to Our Lady of Fatima so I'm quite surprised she waited this long to go there.
- The building was dedicated in May at the West Philadelphia campus of Penn's Health Science Center on Curie Boulevard.
- The building was formally opened and dedicated by the Bishop of Ramsbury, The Right Rev Peter Hullah, with another 150 guests joining the 500 schoolchildren.
- The Chupao Temple is dedicated to a life-saving deity known as Paosheng.
- A new equine hospital at Golden Gate Fields will be formally dedicated on Saturday at 12 p.m. PST.
- Churches were increasingly dedicated to, and children named after, universal saints.
- The Temple of Angkor Wat was dedicated to the Hindu God Vishnu by King Suryavarman II, who reigned between 1131 and 1150 AD.
- Currently the Virgin Mary is revered, and many churches are dedicated to her.
- The community center will be dedicated during a Sept.5 open house.
- The building is specially dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes as Catherine is involved in a lot of charity, voluntary work.
2.2US (declare open)(fair/building) inaugurar
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.