In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1to give sth the deep six — botar algo River Plate Latin America
- Among other things, the legislation deep-sixed restrictions that had forbidden banks from owning insurance companies and brokerages, and vice versa.
- The government clearly had no use for the commission's 1979 report and deep-sixed it on arrival.
- Today he is pressing the important story of the independent counsel report that some would prefer to see deep-sixed: ‘Coverup?’
- To keep them quiet, they'd have to deep-six everybody who took part.
- Well a big chunk of the famed New York subway system is getting deep-sixed, literally.
- The fear that they would put audiences into narcoleptic slumber is probably why proposals for a TV channel to cover events at the world organization are often raised only to be deep-sixed.
- A loss would deep-six his career and ruin his self-image.
- Likewise, a promise to deep-six an auto-tax hike could also fall by the wayside.
- What might have been an endurable serial killer flick is deep-sixed by superfluous scenes and atrocious writing.
- Frankie and Johnny was deep-sixed by an unlikable heroine and a rather boring screenplay.
- These are just some of the tools and techniques we need to explore and evaluate before deep-sixing search.
- So even as NASA and its international partners build their brand-new space station Alpha, there is a detailed plan to safely deep-six the outpost when its days are over.
- The bean counters deep-six one of your equipment purchase orders because they say it's too expensive.
- They never really wanted to offend their corporate contributors, and now that the elections are over, they've deep-sixed any action to stop this tax scam.
- The administration, of course, has already deep-sixed that one.
- Robbins should have deep-sixed the sentimental scenes and given us more caricature.
- I also deep-sixed a few sites whose content had taken an nosedive in the past two years.
- It's time to deep-six ill-conceived ideas like this and relegate those who propose them to the dust bin of history.
- If you totally deep-six the friendship, he will figure everything out - if he hasn't already.
- The old notion of stretching first, when your muscles are cold, was deep-sixed long ago.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.