In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- So in one sense there would be very few defamation cases where a defence of qualified privilege could be raised.
- It is clear law that in any context in which consent of the injured party is a defence to what would otherwise be a crime or a civil wrong, the consent must be real.
- The defendant was taking the moral high ground by volunteering for imprisonment in defence of his position.
- Their defense played a huge role in helping them reach the playoffs for the third time in Edwards' four seasons.
- There's a danger that this stand in defence of reason could be subsumed by some of the other unreasonable trends of our time.
- It is a defence for an accused person to prove that his conduct was reasonable in the circumstances of the case.
- Duress has been recognised as a general defence to all crimes except treason and murder.
- The only defence remaining alive at present is, therefore, I suggest, the disputed decision about qualifying privilege.
- The county court upheld her suspension, and at the end of November the state's supreme court refused to hear the case she had lodged in defence of free speech.
- Others suggested that he was at fault for trying to present an alibi defense.
- He is the most consistent player on defense, and the team can't afford to lose him.
- Were they standing firm in defence of our traditional country sports?
- As in sport, T.J. was always ready to stand his ground in defence of his sincerely held beliefs.
- Surely that is enough reason for our elected representatives to act in defence of our safety?
- A lot of players won't play defense [if they're not scoring].
- It may be said that there is an evidentiary onus on an accused person in raising a defence of alibi.
- As in America, the citizens' militia was an integral part of a patriot ideology that extolled the right of a free people to bear arms in defence of liberty.
- Cochin Port Trust did not click as a team and ICF played a fast and neat game, but it needs taller players to survive in defence.
- If successful such a defence leaves the third party liable to conviction on the basis of strict liability.
- It is a battle in defence of reason and objectivity, the very basis of all scientific enquiry.
- She was adamant that her brother had fallen in defence of our two countries, the land of his birth and England, the land of his ancestors.
- My article was rather a statement not just in my own defence, but in defence of the whole tradition of the kind of fiction that I belong to.
- But the Crown may just decide to go ahead and prosecute for murder, which itself allows the accused a defence of insanity that can lead to acquittal.
- In defamation the falsity of the libel or slander is presumed; but justification is a complete defence.
- The White Sox usually rank near the bottom of the league in team defense but have reversed that trend.
- Their second defence is that they were trying to prevent a crime, a defence allowed under the Criminal Law Act 1967.
- Given the way the accused conducted his defence, and the evidence, we do not think that any miscarriage of justice has occurred in this particular case.
- The defendant has entered a substantive defence pleading justification and qualified privilege.
- It is important that people support this case financially so that a precedent in defence of our rights can be established.
- Good goal keeping and a solid defence prevented Oakworth getting an equaliser.
- This is a common law claim for damages which is subject to a defence of mitigation.
- We will match their determination with our own; we will be as resolute as they are fanatical; as strong in defence of good as they are hell-bent on doing evil.
- The Colombia goalkeeper marshalled a defence that conceded 21 goals in 34 league games.
- In defence Ilkley were largely solid and Ashton, Mark Houlston David Taylor and Beaumont all had good games.
- Automatism is often regarded as a defence to crime rather than as an essential component of criminal conduct.
- But we need to go much further in defence of freedom.
- Truth is a defence for libel; civil suits are decided on the balance of probability, not beyond reasonable doubt.
- One player is not going to score all the goals, be the toughest player, play defense and stop the puck.
- This poses an important test for those of us who want to make a consistent stand in defence of liberties during the second term.
- All they were doing was acting in their own defence and in defence of each other.
- Unlike the police, they act only in defence of private places.
- In defence Kirkby looked solid thanks to their experienced and physical back four.
- It is clear from the cases that the breach by the plaintiff is a complete defence to a claim that the defendant failed to perform its promise.
- In its defence the Third Party has admitted liability by the defendant but denies any obligation for contribution or indemnity.
- The defendant shall then be invited to respond by presenting his defence and may also call witnesses in support.
- At our meeting, Mr. Hansen presented a number of rationales in defence of the proposed increase in holding capacity.
- One of these standards is that an accused person must be given full opportunity to present his defence.
- At present, the law allows homeowners to use only ‘reasonable force’ in defence of themselves and their homes.
- The first tablet was unveiled in the Parish Church some months ago and is a memorial to the brave fellows who lost their lives in defence of their country's interests.
- Weak play on defense and special teams have made it difficult to be patient with the running game.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.