In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of cause, course of action, opinion)defensor masculinedefensora feminine
- He and his defenders, it seems, don't really deny much of anything that has been alleged.
- His defenders may insist that he never outright claimed there was a tie.
- His image as a defender of the national interest made him popular among the masses.
- So to a large extent, his critics and defenders have always talked at cross purposes.
- No less solid is Landry's record as a defender of the interests of big business.
- It is most unlikely that a determined defender of the cosmological line of reasoning would surrender even here.
- He is still healthy, articulate, has his defenders, is famous, and now he has nothing to lose.
- The Charter required the Council to be the defender of the common interest.
- However, he proved to be an unscrupulous defender of bourgeois national interests.
- His strongest opposition came from defenders of vested interest in his own party.
- It also deprived local communities of many of their best defenders.
- I'm calling him on that, and he and his defenders have yet to respond to that.
- So those who resist or protest against electoral fraud are in fact crucial defenders of democracy.
- On the other hand, he's a fierce defender of free trade and a champion of school choice.
- The FDA and other defenders of aspartame quickly debunked the report as exaggerated and baseless.
- Human rights defenders say the trial is a farce and believe the defendants have been tortured.
- Traps are most effective when the two defenders cover two sides of the offensive player.
- It was a clear foul - like when players ease a defender out the way in the wall at a free-kick.
- There shouldn't be any serious questions asked of the American stopper until he is given ample protection from his defenders.
- The ball is rolled back and the home side's defenders stroke it around between them for some early touches.
- Ian Wright was one of those players that defenders must have hated to come up against.
- I think you need a solid base at International level and these players are primarily defenders.
- Both of them drove straight at defenders to force fouls and earn free throws.
- With his back to goal and two defenders smothering him, he somehow manages to turn and make room for a shot, which he fires narrowly wide.
- If Grant learns to tackle better, he could be one of the Panthers' best defenders and a big playmaker.
- Although it does say a lot for the tournament that its best player was a defender.
- If you want to go to the left, take a quick step to the side of the defender with your right foot.
- He is one of the fastest and most direct forwards in the Premiership and a constant thorn in the side of opposing defenders.
- The team can't afford to have scorers or strong defenders go missing for long stretches.
- As it was it took a goal from defender Grant Illingworth to clinch the points.
- Bizarrely it was the fifth time this season that Doncaster have cashed in on an own goal, although the defender knew little about it.
- He is both a pure scorer and a persistent defender with the ability to alter the complexion of any game.
- As he entered the penalty area he was felled from both sides by chasing defenders.
- She ran half the length of the pitch to beat a couple of defenders before rounding the goalkeeper and slotting the ball home.
- Obviously we try to concede as few goals as possible but we also want our defenders to play football and not just mark the strikers.
- Schweinsteiger chases down Jorge Guaga, forcing the burly defender to concede another corner.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.