In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of cause, course of action, opinion)defensor masculinedefensora feminine
- The FDA and other defenders of aspartame quickly debunked the report as exaggerated and baseless.
- His strongest opposition came from defenders of vested interest in his own party.
- The Charter required the Council to be the defender of the common interest.
- Human rights defenders say the trial is a farce and believe the defendants have been tortured.
- It is most unlikely that a determined defender of the cosmological line of reasoning would surrender even here.
- So to a large extent, his critics and defenders have always talked at cross purposes.
- So those who resist or protest against electoral fraud are in fact crucial defenders of democracy.
- However, he proved to be an unscrupulous defender of bourgeois national interests.
- It also deprived local communities of many of their best defenders.
- His defenders may insist that he never outright claimed there was a tie.
- His image as a defender of the national interest made him popular among the masses.
- He and his defenders, it seems, don't really deny much of anything that has been alleged.
- On the other hand, he's a fierce defender of free trade and a champion of school choice.
- I'm calling him on that, and he and his defenders have yet to respond to that.
- No less solid is Landry's record as a defender of the interests of big business.
- He is still healthy, articulate, has his defenders, is famous, and now he has nothing to lose.
- Bizarrely it was the fifth time this season that Doncaster have cashed in on an own goal, although the defender knew little about it.
- It was a clear foul - like when players ease a defender out the way in the wall at a free-kick.
- Although it does say a lot for the tournament that its best player was a defender.
- Ian Wright was one of those players that defenders must have hated to come up against.
- Both of them drove straight at defenders to force fouls and earn free throws.
- There shouldn't be any serious questions asked of the American stopper until he is given ample protection from his defenders.
- As it was it took a goal from defender Grant Illingworth to clinch the points.
- With his back to goal and two defenders smothering him, he somehow manages to turn and make room for a shot, which he fires narrowly wide.
- The team can't afford to have scorers or strong defenders go missing for long stretches.
- The ball is rolled back and the home side's defenders stroke it around between them for some early touches.
- She ran half the length of the pitch to beat a couple of defenders before rounding the goalkeeper and slotting the ball home.
- He is both a pure scorer and a persistent defender with the ability to alter the complexion of any game.
- Obviously we try to concede as few goals as possible but we also want our defenders to play football and not just mark the strikers.
- Traps are most effective when the two defenders cover two sides of the offensive player.
- He is one of the fastest and most direct forwards in the Premiership and a constant thorn in the side of opposing defenders.
- If you want to go to the left, take a quick step to the side of the defender with your right foot.
- If Grant learns to tackle better, he could be one of the Panthers' best defenders and a big playmaker.
- Schweinsteiger chases down Jorge Guaga, forcing the burly defender to concede another corner.
- I think you need a solid base at International level and these players are primarily defenders.
- As he entered the penalty area he was felled from both sides by chasing defenders.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.