In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Many ecologists blamed the usual suspects for the bird losses: DDT, defoliants, avian malaria, suburban blight.
- In addition, the cotton crop is routinely sprayed with a defoliant each fall to get rid of the leaves to make harvesting easier.
- We have to determine its effects on cotton quality, costs, and labor requirements, but we think it will be competitive with airplane spraying of a chemical defoliant.
- Decades after the wartime defoliant Agent Orange was sprayed over the country, dioxin continues to contaminate people through the food chain in present-day Vietnam, according to a study released yesterday.
- By 1985 one-third of the country was considered wasteland, thanks to the use of chemical defoliants.
- Dioxin was the primary toxic component of Agent Orange, a defoliant used during the Vietnam war.
- Much of the remaining foliage is stunted, dulled by defoliants.
- Agent Orange was used as a defoliant during the Vietnam War and included, as contaminants, dioxin and related compounds.
- Much of the countryside was laid waste through carpet-bombing, napalm and widespread use of chemical defoliants, and even a quarter century after the end of the war, the economic and ecological impact remain enormous.
- He later contracted and perished from cancer, which he and his father believed was caused by exposure to chemical defoliants used extensively in the war.
- Agent Orange was used as a defoliant and herbicide during the war.
- Since then, numerous federal and state attempts to control melaleuca have met with little success, efforts that range from spraying with defoliants to clearing with bulldozers and burning.
- The defoliant was sprayed to destroy jungle cover for Vietnamese supply lines and wipe out crops intended to feed Vietnamese soldiers.
- Mechanization of cotton cultivation has cut employment dramatically, and the use of defoliants and pesticides has caused health problems.
- Doctors say he is a victim of the defoliant, Agent Orange.
- The use of defoliants such as Agent Orange and various herbicides scarred the landscape and caused untold human costs.
- For example, defoliants which were sprayed during the Vietnam War killed most of the mangrove forests in the Mekong Delta.
- A study, released in August last year by scientists from the US, Germany and Vietnam, found that the defoliant was still contaminating people through their food.
- Dioxin was the contaminant in the herbicide Agent Orange, used as a defoliant in the Vietnam war and thought to have caused numerous health problems in veterans of that war.
- Likely as a result of exposure to heavy doses of Agent Orange defoliant in Vietnam, he contracted a virulent form of leukemia that would pull him down in his early 60s.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.