In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- But with the park still intact and once deforested areas being restored, researchers will continue to descend on Masoala.
- In Nepal, new forests tend to be planted on relatively gentle slopes, whereas deforested areas are more often steeplands.
- The results showed that nearly one-third of the areas that were logged selectively were completely deforested for grazing and other uses within four years.
- New fields are prepared in the following manner: First a suitable and fertile area is identified after which this area is deforested.
- At least half the deaths were caused by a landslide above Las Colinas, an area deforested by excessive construction work.
- Most of the area is deforested and carpeted with African savanna grasses, but various parks preserve patches of remnant or second-growth forest.
- The area had become barren because it was deforested and had lost the thin layer of rich soil.
- ‘In heavily deforested Haiti, about 80 percent of the loss of tree cover came from coffee production,’ explains Llach.
- This vulnerability to fire damage in some regions was a key reason why there were large deforested areas when Europeans first arrived in the country.
- Population pressures, poverty, and clear-cutting are rapidly deforesting the Earth while causing much associated damage.
- What happened is that the Anasazi deforested the area around their settlements until they were having to go further and further away for their fuel and their construction timber.
- England, for instance, was largely deforested by the 1700s.
- Large areas have been deforested to dedicate them to a rudimentary and migrant agriculture; forest fires are intense and frequent, destroying the young trees and therefore the regeneration capacity of the forest.
- All of that land had been deforested prior to 1930.
- Thirteen Buddhist pagodas, 17 schools, and several villages are now planting those trees in an attempt to restore a severely deforested area.
- The area to be deforested is four times the size of Portugal and would be mainly used for agriculture and pastures for livestock.
- They did not clear or deforest wide areas as they would have done if they had based their economy on a dry farming system.
- He said most of the land had been allocated to charcoal burners who had ended up deforesting the area.
- What's more, the howlers' habitat was being deforested for agricultural uses and for firewood.
- In Scotland, Orbost is a thriving wood in an area that was heavily deforested in previous centuries.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.